The dance

Critique Style Requested: In-depth

The photographer has shared comprehensive information about their intent and creative vision for this image. Please examine the details and offer feedback on how they can most effectively realize their vision.

Self Critique

Without a doubt, what caught my attention was the movement of the branches of the trees. I made a closed frame to give prominence to the subject also to enhance the contrast of the autumn colors.
Maybe the framing is too tight and the portion of the floor could have been reduced, as aspects to improve.

Creative direction

I am very attracted to intimate landscapes, hidden corners of the forest and unusual subjects.
I consider that trying to capture those scenes, different emotions might emerge in the spectator.

Specific Feedback

Sometimes I have doubts about editing. I consider myself a purist photographer and I only make basic editing adjustments.
I always try to capture scenes or subjects that awaken something in me, but I’m not sure I can convey that in my images, being very aware of how subjective it is to do so.

Technical Details

Nikon Z6
Nikkor Z 50mm f/1.8S
Manual
f 11
ISO 200
2/5 s

Description

I know exactly where these trees are in the middle of the forest, and I love the way they “move” their branches into each other. I consider autumn the best season to capture all the beauty and contrast that exists in those days so I can’t avoid to photograph it.

3 Likes

Yes, you’ve captured a frozen dance movement well here. I might like a little more canvas on the right for more space past that tree, and you might consider removing that moss-covered rock at the bottom.

1 Like

This is so beautiful and my kind of image. Really a Dance by composition !! No comments to give , just perfect .
More than welcome to NPN.!!

1 Like

Very lovely image. I find the composition to be perfect, and the colors are realistic. I don’t know if your goal was a quasi high-key image, but I think I’d like it maybe 1/2 to 2/3 stops darker. Welcome to NPN!

1 Like

Isabel,

First of all, Welcome to NPN! So great to have you here!

This is such a wonderful image and the reference to “dance” is perfect. I especially like the main branch that reaches back in to the scene. This is framed beautifully and this is a terrific example of creating “order from chaos.” Beautifully seen and captured.

I had similar thoughts to Bret in terms of exposure. I like the natural colors and saturation you’ve presented, but also thought even a slight reduction in the brights/highlights, if even just a 1/2 a stop. But as you’ll see and learn here, these observations are just ones or personcal choice and preference and not a right or wrong. This is just lovely as presented.

We look forward to your images and your engagement with the NPN community! Welcome!

Lon

1 Like

Hi Isable, I agree I think you captured the “dance” movement perfectly here. I also think the level of contrast or darkenss works well here. My eyes are definitely drawn the “dancing” tree on the left. Great eye!

1 Like

Thank you so much for all your comments of my “dance” image!
I really appreciate it!
It was took last year and I must admit that maybe this year I could photographed it in a different way I mean, not by changing the composition but I agree with a little bit less bright in the editing.
I’ll take all your reviews in consideration.
Thanks a lot again!
Isabel