The Dream Machine

Image Description

he Dream Machine

During the night, the heavy clouds of the evening began to dissipate. As the Sun approached the eastern horizon, vapor began to rise from the surface of the river. A gentle breeze scooped it up and carried it lovingly as it sauntered through the cottonwoods lining the water’s edge. The fog didn’t get too thick. Not quite a blanket, it was more like a silky shawl embracing the landscape. The lower branches of the trees and shrubs became frosted in feathers of ice. Soon, the energy of our favorite star began to illuminate the landscape. The river had been up to some mischief! With the air temp near zero, slushy ice formed where ever the water was disturbed. Riffles caused by submerged stones helped introduce frigid air to the super-cooled water. In one particular area, faster water enters a region of more still water. Shelves of solid ice along the shores created an area with a back-current. Flowing ice was lured in and molded into a perfectly spinning circle. It was like a gear in a dream machine. The dream it created is obscurely reflected in the downstream pool. Meanwhile, clouds danced overhead competing with the motion of the river for my attention. These ephemeral ice phenomena are fantastic things to observe. The soft scrape of slush against ice made for a soundtrack that was as magical to my ears as the ice circle was to my eyes. Then, in just moments, the clouds passed, the circle ceased movement as it jammed against the shelf ice, and the moment vanished the way a dream in the night gives way to the reality of day. It was a good dream. Reality wasn’t that bad either.

Specific Feedback and Self-Critique

At the time, my shortest focal length was 18mm. I’ve since picked up a 14-24. I wish I had not crowded the up stream area on the left side, but I felt like I couldnt loose any on the right. I’m standing on a bridge so backing up was not an option. I wonder how this is perceived as a vertical image. I’ve been trying to process images with less vibrant tones…is this too subdued? The light was fairly flat so I’ve done quite a bit of work with the masking tool in Lightroom

Technical Details

ISO 31, f/22, 25 seconds, 18mm. It was pretty bright out and despite the 6 stop ND filter, I still needed to lower that ISO and raise the f/stop higher than I like to get a long enough exposure. I used a lot of various masks in Lightrooms Masking Tool. The sky, the ice circle, the river and the sweeping curve in the foreground all have touch ups done to them

Great story and experience standing in front of this rather ethereal scene. I especially like your description - “a silky shawl embracing the landscape”. Aptly put.

Without changing this too much, I brought this into Photoshop to make what I hope you will feel are improvements that strengthen this striking shot.

Basically I think there’s a color cast and too much in the shot that takes away from what I think is the most interesting part - the center and left. The swoop of the river and the varying textures throughout. Wide angle is harder for us to use because it encompasses so much and we can easily overwhelm the heart of a photo.

I hope this still resonates with you and takes you deeper into your creative approach. Here’s the layer stack -

Oh and the Soft Pop action is at 50% opacity on that layer.

OK, I think I like it! I always have a hard time removing things I like in an image, but your crop does make sense. I’ll spend some time on this later today and make a few changes. Thanks so much for taking the time to critique.

1 Like

You’re welcome, Paul. Lately I’ve been ruthless with myself when I get the wide angle out. I carefully frame, paying particular attention to the edges and am constantly giving myself the direction - “is it in, or is it out?”. Meaning that if I choose to include something, there has to be a reason. It has to do something to support or enhance the main reason I’m taking the picture in the first place. I find that it helps quite a bit in terms of finding the heart of the scene.

Hi Paul thank you for sharing the great story and thoughts describing your lovely image. It’s a very nice bonus to include with the image.
Great feedback and edit from Kristen, thank you Kristen.
Look forward to seeing more of your work Paul.

Great to see you back.

1 Like

I can’t believe I forgot about this group! I enjoy engaging with photographers on a site like this. It’s both inspiring and challenging. Both promote growth and thats what it’s all about!

1 Like