The Empire of the Dandelion

Some species are ubiquitous — pigeons, rats, and dandelions, to name a few. I’ve made it a project to photograph dandelions where ever I find them. This is a collage of images of that project. There are many more in my collection, but they wouldn’t fit on a page that would be readable.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any comments are welcome. I want to put some simple frames around each photo, but that process has eluded me.

This project aims not only to photograph the dandelion but also to include a recognizable landmark of the country in which I took it. (I know it doesn’t work for Nepal.)

Comments on the graphics as well as the images are welcome.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: Yes

Various cameras and technical details.

@paulgwiegman
1 Like

What an excellent idea Paul! Good for you and thanks for showing us. A very good selection of photos and I like the nice low pov. I am trying to image the page with borders around each photo. I think it might take away from the flow around what you have now shown . Well done.

1 Like

Thanks David. It’s was, and continues to be, an enjoyable project.

I’m not looking for large frames, but just a thin line or something to “raise” the photo above the background.

Namaste

Paul: A great idea carried off so well. The common denominator of the dandelions melds everything together. Most excellent. >=))>

1 Like

I really love your project idea! Dandelions are beautiful and it’s amazing how they can grow anywhere which you are illustrating! Really neat!

It astounds me how widespread some species are. That taraxacological collage I presented includes North & South America, Europe, and Asia. I hadn’t started this project when in Australia, but I suppose it is found there also.

There’s a whole botanical displine devoted to just the one genus - Taraxacum

The most common species is Taraxacum officinale native to Europe, and dispersed worldwide. It may be the most commonly recognized wildflower in the world.

Namaste

Cool idea Paul!
And, as a fellow Pittsburgher, I love seeing our hometown represented! (Though there’s a typo in the city name there.)
I don’t think you even need borders around the images, but if you wanted to add some, maybe something in just a slightly darker (or lighter) shade of gray as compared to the background would work.
Great concept and images!

1 Like

Super idea for a project! Giving the ubiquitous it’s due!
My favorite is Paris. I think that super low to high perspective is great.

1 Like

Well, that’s embarrasing. You would think that after 77 years I would have learned to spell Pittsburgh, ana’t. Geeze, I even spelled some of the locations in their native language. Yinz have a good eye.

1 Like

Thanks Mark, Paris was interesting. The flower was really low to the ground and about a yard inside an iron fence. I was laying on the pavement with my arm stretched as far as I could reach. My face was pressed against the fence so I could see the LCD screen. And a small crowd was gathering trying to figure out what was going on. And my wife was trying to explain what I was doing to a group of Japanese tourists while they were making a lot of sound that sounded somehow mirthful. But I got the picture. Thanks for the comment.

1 Like