The End of the Season

What technical feedback would you like if any? The flowers were on their way out so I decided to go BW. What do you think?

What artistic feedback would you like if any? This was an experiment in trying some new graphical techniques. Black and white photography seemed to do the trick.

Pertinent technical details or techniques: D500 200mm f4 micro (10.0 sec at f20, ISO 200) 4 image stack, Light provided by 3 flashes with subject in a softbox. Levels, Hue and Saturation -Reds, -Yellows, Silver Efex, added frame with increase in canvas size.

(If the background has been replaced, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ā€˜igā€™ and leave your Instagram username below.

jameszablotny

1 Like

I adore dead/dying flowers. This is beautiful. Iā€™m assuming that your main interest was the flowers (if not, ignore my comments). What catches my eye first is the stem, which is interesting in itā€™s own right. The curve of it, leading to the flowers is so graceful, and I love the way the papery covering is ripping off. Because it is of such high contrast, though, it is where my eye lingers, not on the flowers. Perhaps a different conversion (making the green channel lighter?) would make the stem less prominent (if thatā€™s what you wanted). The flowers themselves could be more prominent with some burning of the shadows within them (again, if thatā€™s what you want). At any rate, this is a lovely composition!

1 Like

Jim: I certainly see what Bonnie is saying regarding the dominance of the stem but that only bothers me with the small version. On the largest version the fine details on the flowers take over and balance things nicely for me. You got a very pleasing result from what most would consider less than ideal subject matter. Superbly crafted image IMO :+1: :+1: . >=))>

1 Like

Jim, share your feeling that fading flowers have a lot of character and a dynamic range of color values ā€¦a perfect subject for B&W. Very dramatic photo, with full range. Love the sheath drawing the viewer up the stalk. At first it seemed that the image was heavy with true blackā€¦but at second look it seems well balanced. Very nice image.

1 Like

Jim, how creative. I would have probably not thought about fading flowers working well in B&W, but you have proved that they do. For me, I think this is a fine ā€œfine artā€ image. :+1: :+1:

1 Like

A beautifully presented image, Jim. The comp and the overall contrast work well for me, and there are plenty of subtle tones in the flowers to enrich the image. A strong sense of mortality comes vividly through.

1 Like

Jim,
The B&W treatment and the high key BG work beautifully together IMO. This reminds me of a pencil drawing; very creative. I also am enjoying the graceful curve of these faded flowers. Very nicely done.

Very creative presentation that presents well as a black and white to bring out details, especially in the stem area. Great impact that lets the eye flow from the base up through the blooms. Nicely done.

Nice work. Perfect candidate for the B&W treatment. The flowers contrast nicely with the darker stems.