The Ghost Moose

In western Värmland, a little part of Sweden, we have a population of white Mooses. The white ones mix up with the brown ones and a white cow can give birth to a brown calf and vice versa. They are not albinos.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Any!

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Any!

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)
Nikon D810, Nikon 200 - 500 f/5,6 @ 330 mm, f/5,6, 1/125 s, ISO 2200

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
2 Likes

Hi Lennart !

I’m seeing picture of white Moose for the first time, techs are solid and pose is wonderful. Presence of just two colors (white and green) makes it so wonderful that it looks like a marble statue.

Looking forward to seeing more of your work.

Terrific capture of this remarkable natural adaptation. Techs are excellent, and the subject stands out so well against the green background-as Jagdeep noted above. Very different look from the usual brown moose we see here in Northern New England,

Lennart, this is my first time seeing a white moose, too. The environment is rather messy especially the branches right next to the cheek. But we often take what we are given and I very much like it as presented.

Like others, this is the first time I’ve seen a photo of a white moose. Thanks for the explanation of how they occur. As mentioned the white moose stands out against the green bg. I’m glad you left the small trees or bushes as I think it shows their natural habitat. I do have a question as to how close you were to the moose. The moose in Colorado are aggressive most of the time. Thanks for sharing.

I, too, have never seen a white moose. Wonderful capture. I especially like the pose. It appears the moose is picking up a scent from the twig. Not sure if that is the case.

I guess the distance was about 15 m. The bull wasn´t agressive at all.

Thank you for your replies! :grinning::grinning::grinning:

Fantastic. I’ve seen videos and photos of them, but it’s nice to see something from a member of this community… this is a wonderful portrait. I particularly like the head turn and detail in the face.

Max

This is so cool, Lennart. I’d not heard of these. An excellent image with a great angle and head turn. Nice to catch it in velvet with the horns white as well.