The Ice Cave

The Ice Cave RAW file unedited

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Here is another of my ice pictures. It was taken on the Fox Glacier on the south island of New Zealand. Our group of photographers flew up to the glacier by helicopter. We were given crampons and a walking poll. The instructions were to remain in a single file behind our ice-pick swing guide and walk like a dinosaur. Taking pictures became a secondary concern.

Specific Feedback

I struggle with the colors. They are undoubtedly intense to the eye, but I am not confident in processing the shades of blue and the highlights of white on the ice in a way that doesn’t look over-processed. Cropping was also a challenge.

Technical Details

Camera: Sony RX100vi, 9 mm, ISO 160, f/9, 1/160 sec. [a little camera with a big heart that fits in a pocket]
Processed in LR & PS

1 Like

Very good image, Barbara. Looks like your trip to New Zealand was a success. I particularly like the bottom area where the ice looks like clouds and ice at the same time. But overall I like the abstract nature of the top image.

Thank you Igor. The South Island of New Zealand was a superb location for a photo workshop.

Wonderful!! What an amazing adventure, and an awesome image in the deal! I think the cropping and tonalities are fine!

Thank you , @Diane_Miller, for your affirmation. I never thought I would enjoy photographing ice.

Like Igor, I prefer the top one because of its abstract nature. If I had not seen the title, I thought it was a pool of water on ice.

This is great Barbara. Initially it seemed to me to be a clearing through the clouds seen from above. A wonderful abstract when it is open to different interpretations. In comparison, the raw file beneath it just doesn’t hold my attention.
Very nice. Cheers.

What a great find, Barbara. My preference is the first one for it’s abstract quality. I particularly like the color tones and the lack of scale as it just makes the image more engaging and thought provoking making me wonder exactly as I looking at.

Congtrats on the WP, BTW.

The idea of this as an abstract image had not occurred to me. Thanks to @Phil_G , @Jim_Gavin , @Igor_Doncov, and @Ed_Lowe for pointing that out.