The Long Walk

This was a boardwalk from a road to a beach inlet (destroyed by the 2018 hurricane). It looks to be pretty straight, and for the most part, is but a bit wonky with a lot of twists and dips.

Specific Feedback Requested

I kind of, sort of feel it might be too contrasty. I was using an editing technique I learned from a chap in the UK and not sure if I did it all correctly.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
D7000, 18-105 @22mm, f/16, 1/200, ISO 320

Processing is difficult and since this was processed, the TK8 panels can do everything I did here in a near instance whereas this took over 6 hours to process. The idea is that you do a B&W adjustment layer, and pull the blue slider all the way to the left, then add a second layer using an exposure adj on the minus side and giving it a black layer mask, then a third layer with a plus adj layer, same black mask and with varying brush sizes, strokes and opacity, paint in the shadows and highlights.

1 Like

The high contrast treatment makes a very stark and somewhat foreboding view. I like the extra long lead of the boardwalk, how the trees seems to be encircling the far end and the stormy sky. Your treatment of the blues goes along with something that I learned (and have seen), which is the blue channel seems to get noisy quickly when it’s darkened. An alternative way to handle that is to significantly warm the scene (set the color temp to 6800) before going to b&w.

1 Like

Interesting information…I shall give that a try on the next B&W.

The contrast is very special, but I like it a lot. It gives a very special feeling to the image. I think that that feeling could be even more emphasized by adding some vignette, an example is given below.

Due to lack of knowledge, I can not add to the technical discussion on the post-processing.

1 Like