The Mighty Kudu

Hmmmmm.
This needs more contrast for online.
Still a bit fuzzy at this huge crop from an older camera, but hopefully still worthwhile. I’ll hit it with Gigapixel enlargement when I can.
Edit:

original:

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Kudu are huge, and - IMO - the most regal and beautiful of the African antelopes. Unfortunately, they are usually in deep brush and rarely in the open.
Jim saw this fellow back in the great yellow leaves, walking parallel to us. We followed him and were just amazed when he stepped briefly into the open and stared at us.
I didn’t see that errant leaf until I enlarged the image!

Specific Feedback

all thoughts welcome

Technical Details

D850
80-400 @ 200
Exposure Time: 1/125 sec
F Number: f/8
ISO Speed Ratings: ISO 320
Manual
Metering Mode: Spot
Exposure Bias: 0.33 EV

Critique Template

Use of the template is optional, but it can help spark ideas.

• Vision and Purpose:
  • Conceptual:
  • Emotional Impact and Mood:
  • Composition:
  • Balance and Visual Weight:
  • Depth and Dimension:
  • Color:
  • Lighting:
  • Processing:
  • Technical:

What a cool looking animal…only seen by me on some TV show or other, but so arresting - regal indeed. Great that you caught this one out in the open even if it does have a mottled background that is close to it. The leaf is an excellent serendipitous touch. What an intense gaze and impressive horns and then…yeah, you have a little…yeah, just there. Funny.

Have you messed at all with blurring the bg? It wouldn’t be too hard to do in Photoshop. There are several ways you could do it and then blend the layers as you would like them to appear. Let me know if you want to toss around ideas. Worked with it today on a Loon image and it worked a treat.

Great colors, great head on stare with the kudu too Sandy. I could see blurring the BG a bit as suggested by @Kris_Smith to help the kudu stand out a bit more.

Great shot of this majestic antelope. Direct engagement and those wonderful spiral horns act like leading lines to bring the focus directly to the face. As they tend to be shy creatures it is hard to get them away from the background.
Have you thought of converting it to B&W, then using a mask to blur the background and make him stand out more?