The Monarch and the Bottlebrush

Blank, flat sky allowed me to focus strictly on the two subjects knowing I was going to go full on white for the BG

Specific Feedback Requested

More curious as to what others think about the white BG and compositional placement of the two subjects in the frame.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Nikon D850, Nikon 28-300 @300mm 5.6 1/1250 (butterflies are faster than you think) ISO 320 - no pano

Processed in ACR, then photoshop. Mostly used channels for delineation of colors and sharpness.

I thought this was a studio shot with a white background. That it’s the sky is truly impressive. I like the white, and the framing looks fine to me…maybe you could cut a bit off the left to get a bit less centered, but that’s just an idea. I really like it.

1 Like

I thought about that but when I tried it, I couldn’t get a good balance on the butterfly. I have about 30 shots close to this one and could likely find one that would frame better…but, this one still appeals to my style…whatever that is :slight_smile:

Chris, this is a very nice image. Love the white BG. You did well with the exposure settings to not let the camera try to underexpose because of the white sky. I am good with the composition, especially where you made the frame more square. Love the plant that he is on too. Nice shot.

Silly me didn’t give thought to a square crop, but now that you mention that possibility, I might have a rework in mind. Thanks for the suggestion.

1 Like

This one looks great to me – a white sky day can be useful sometimes. Very nice detail on the butterfly and the bottle brush, without the very fine detail looking swamped out by overexposure/

Thank you. White BG’s in a studio setting are rarely an issue but in nature, not so much. It was a fun and challenging exposure.

Hi Chris,

I do like high key images like this one. Comp is spot on and my only minor nit is that the DOF was not deep enough to include the wingtips. Other than that, a fantastically different view of a monarch. Well done…Jim

Bloody fellas just won’s stay still…maybe glue…no, no , no, just kidding. It generally takes 20 or 30 shots to capture all the detail. I try to use a shallower DoF to avoid BG interference. In this case, since there was none, I could have stopped down to 8 or 9 and gotten the full capture. Good catch!

Chris: I’m late to this party but this is a unique image with how you handled the sky. A beautiful subject rendered superbly. :+1: :+1:>=))>

1 Like

Hi Chris, really nice high key look. Really like the perch and the colors of the butterfly. Nice frame.

1 Like