The most interesting bird of my day

What technical feedback would you like if any?

any.
This Horned Lark, was the most interesting bird of my day. I had set out to see if the White-faced Ibis had returned Hammonasset State Park, in Ct. I didn’t find the Ibis but, I did come across a group of this Larks hopping around the parking lot.
Thank you for stopping by.
Peter

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

any

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Canon EOS 7D Mark II, Shooting Date/Time 02/22/20 10:07:10
Shooting Mode Aperture-Priority AE, Tv(Shutter Speed) 1/1000
Av(Aperture Value) 10, Metering Mode Evaluative Metering
ISO Speed 400, Lens 150-600mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM | Contemporary 015
Focal Length 562.0mm.
I cropped the shot by 20%

(If backgrounds have been removed, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

One of my favorites, these Horned Larks! Good to see how well the can blend in with the surroundings, walking past them is pretty easy ! Well seen :slight_smile: ! Cheers, Hans

A very nice find, Peter. I never thought of them as easily approachable, but it depends on habituation, I think. You have excellent detail in the plumage and I like the pose you got. I think you could crop up just a bit from the bottom with a touch off both sides to maintain proportions. That will decenter the bird a bit more and help minimize the out of focus foreground grasses. Here’s a quick cut of what I’m thinking.

I’ve never seen one but would love to. The bird looks pretty sharp, but perhaps critical focus is a touch in front of the bird? I’d also suggest getting lower, if possible. If you were able to lie on the ground, It would throw the foreground and background out of focus and allow for a more intimate view of the bird–although, getting all the way down on the ground can be painful!

Hi Hans, Dennis and Lyle
Thanks for the comments, I should have add that I photograph the Horned Lark hand held from my car window.
Peter

A nice close look at the lark with good color and detail.