The Sceptic +Rework

Rework

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Squinting through the sunlight, with its weathered face caught in a permanent squint. This rock, with its endless spirals, looks like it’s been chewing over life’s riddles, the kind that don’t quite fit together. That empty eye in the middle, it’s like it’s looking for a bit of truth, always asking, never quite believing what’s told. Just a big old chunk of the world, sitting there, forever questioning, with a kind of stubbornness that makes you want to sit down and join the conversation.

Specific Feedback

Any constructive feedback welcome.

Technical Details

25 mm at ISO 100 and 1⁄125sec at ƒ/11

1 Like

Your title cracked me up. Oh, and the photo is pretty good too :grinning: I definitely see the expression. But it actually stood out more for me in the thumbnail before I clicked on it. So maybe some tweaks could help to emphasize your point. As a newbie, I’m over my paygrade here in terms of specific suggestions, but maybe a wider crop if you have it or some vignetting? You can probably come up with better ideas than me.

1 Like

Dear God… What can you possibly come up with to top this?? Time of day was perfect to the minute. Good thought from @Cathy_Proenza for a slightly wider composition but maybe not possible. (I would try that and resort to cloning edges if needed and just settle for a different category of image. Not to replace this but as an alternative. But no idea if it could actually work.)

2 Likes

@Cathy_Proenza @Diane_Miller

Thanks Cathy and Diane for once I actually have extra crop space, had to clone out the edge of my boot but that’s about it. The time was perfect, its probably my normal time of the day to visit this area, around 11am. When I have harsh light, sharp shadows and featureless skies is when I find myself crawling around the rocks. Seems The Sceptic has a chin!

Expressive, quirky, funny, and creative abstract image! Love this Saundie! The wider perspective provides the needed breathing space for the sceptic expression to stand out. Loved the caption too! Well done!

1 Like

I really like this, Saundie. Not sure I would have given it the same title, but that’s the way abstracts are. When you’re adding reposts, you might want to label which image is the original and which the repost. I usually put that above the images, but some people put it below.

Another fine image from this formation.

1 Like

Wonderful both ways!!

1 Like

Thanks Alfredo, just something different. I agree on the wider format (thankyou @Cathy_Proenza and @Diane_Miller ) I wish I had looked at it earlier, this image has really done its rounds, would have been better in the reworked version … live and learn!

Thanks Dennis! I always find titling an image a difficult and laborious process … not my favorite part of the whole experience. Would love to hear what you would call it, always open to new ideas. Fixed that Rework thing, totally forgot to do it, still trying to form some NPN good work habits. :+1: