Jolted Geology

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

This unique stone pattern captures the unexpectedness of a bite into a live wire. It’s as if the rock itself has come alive with a shock, its silent reaction etched forever in time.

Specific Feedback

Not sure about the crop

Technical Details

30 mm at ISO 400 and 1⁄1600sec at ƒ/8

1 Like

I was leaning toward hypnotized with stick in mouth, Saudie, but your interpretation is probably more interesting. I tend to prefer the closer crop because the faults on the sides are a bit truncated though I suspect when you framed it you were looking at them as face edges. Interestingly, when I look at the wider image the circular features look indented, when I look at the closer crop, they seem to protrude.

1 Like

Spot on Dennis had hoped the faults could delineate the edge of a face, but I guess that makes it a little Spongebob like.

You are right the the tighter crop probably works better. Thanks for the feedback! :+1:

Interesting looking place. Personally, I prefer a very reduced abstract form and I think there is a bit too much stuff here. I would say that those circles alone are enough for a good composition without dark lines etc. If the place is nearby, it would be worth visiting there often and looking for different compositions. A very close-up of those circles would also work

1 Like

Thank you for your insights, Jorma. I appreciate the abstract potential you’ve identified. Indeed, I have explored closer compositions of these intriguing patterns. Maintaining the surrounding lines was a deliberate choice to give a sense of place and scale, but I agree that there’s a certain allure in isolating the circles. I’ll make sure to revisit the idea with the close-ups I’ve captured.

Another excellent rock abstract Saudie! Love the expression of the face and your interpretation. So many ways to compose this great scene. I also like Jorma’s version.

1 Like

Thanks Alfredo, appreciate your feedback!

I wish I had a formation like this nearby. I totally love the humor of your description, and I’m with @Dennis_Plank on preferring the cropped version. Great find!

1 Like

Thanks Denise! I am spoilt for choice here, very lucky! :grinning:

This is great! Made me back up and then laugh. I echo the preference for the cropped version. In fact, I wonder if a bit more crop off the left side (to a more vertical aspect) would contribute to your shocked face idea?

1 Like

Thanks Cathy, glad it gave you a laugh! Yes you are right that crop is a bit lopsided I’ll take a look at it. Thanks for the feedback! :pray:

1 Like