Eroded Evolution

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

This rock has been around, quietly changing with each day that passes. It’s like a journal in a way, each mark from the weather a little note about what’s been. Most folks might not notice it much, but if you take a minute, you’ll see it’s got a sturdy kind of story to it. The way it’s held up over time, it’s nothing flashy, but it sure does say something about sticking it out. It’s not just a rock; it’s a piece of the earth that’s seen a lot and has got the marks to prove it.

Specific Feedback

Any feedback welcome.

Technical Details

42 mm at ISO 320 and 1⁄400sec at ƒ/8

1 Like

Interesting phenomenon, Saundie. The upper part looks like bee or wasp cells. It provides a lot of food for contemplation on how it might have been formed.

Hi Don,
Another interesting natural abstract shape. What a good eye you have! I like the contrast to the intrusive forma above, they seem to grow.
Have you tryed to flip the picture to the left? Well, try it and look to the effect on the composition.
I am looking forward to your next photo’s.

Another fabulous find and presentation! I would never have been able to decide how to crop this scene but I think you found a very compelling one, with the cells occupying a lot of the space and then filaments of them reaching out to the smoother rock.

A minor suggestion is to remove the small lighter bit at the top center or possibly include more at the top. I’m sure there are at least a hundred great compositions here!

@Dennis_Plank Thanks Dennis, can definitely see the wasp cells. I have no idea how the minerals were laid down but I believe the erosion is known as differential erosion. Thanks for the feedback!

@HennyJA Thanks Henny! I have rotated through a full 360 degrees but not flipped it, will give that a go. Thanks for the feedback!

@Diane_Miller Thanks Diane. I’ll look at including more up top, hopefully I haven’t shot tight (a bad habit) thanks for your feedback!

Amazing eroded formations in this image Saundie! It definitely looks like a bees nest. There is a certain weight to the top of the image. That weight looks like it is compressing the stone underneath. I also like the dimensionality of the upper section. This image could also work nicely in black and white.