Nature's Balance

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Rock holds light and dark,
Curves and edges whispering,
Nature’s dance of balance,
Soft meets hard in silent truth,
Earth’s yin yang quietly speaks.

Specific Feedback

Any feedback welcome

Technical Details

50 mm at ISO 100 and 1⁄160sec at ƒ/8

1 Like

I like the texture of this image and there’s enough gray to bring out the warm tones present in the image. Well done…Jim

1 Like

Thanks Jim, appreciate your feedback! :+1:

These formations contain an incredible wealth of interesting abstracts, Saundie, and this is no exception I really like the composition.

Out of curiosity, what’s the geological designation for this formation-I’d be interested in looking it up.

Loved the poem and the image Saundie! The top rock feels like it could easily fit into the bottom rock. Great work to see this. The dark section on the upper corner is a bit distracting but nature is not perfect so perhaps it’s best to leave it as is. Have you considered submitting this series to LensWork? I think it would stand a good chance of being published.

Thanks Dennis! The place is geological wonderland.

Did a bit of a hunt for information this is what I found:

The geological makeup of Bouddi National Park is characterized by fascinating features that have evolved over millions of years. The park’s landscape comprises sedimentary rock formations, primarily sandstone, shale, and conglomerates, which originated from sediment deposits by water flow through creeks and rivers. This process occurred approximately 200 to 290 million years ago when the area that is now the Bouddi Peninsula was located inland.

The prevalent sandstone found in the region is known as Hawkesbury Sandstone, which forms the upper layers of the hills. Beneath this sandstone lies the Gosford and Terrigal Formations, consisting of softer sandstone, shale, and ironstone—a mixture of sandstone, clay, and some conglomerate. These rocks have been continuously shaped and altered by natural forces such as water, wind, and temperature changes, leading to the diverse terrain we see today.

Erosion and weathering of these rocks have also played a significant role in shaping the current landscape and have contributed to the formation of soils in the area, including sand, loam, and iron-rich laterite. The laterite soil at Killcare Heights is particularly noteworthy. It has developed over time as the surface sandstone underwent weathering and chemical leaching, resulting in a red, soft, and crumbly soil that hardens when exposed to air.

The park’s geology not only contributes to its stunning landscape but also influences the type of vegetation and the variety of animal habitats in the area. The geology and erosion have also led to the formation of unique features like tessellated pavements, visible on the coastal walk from Putty Beach to Bullimah Beach, which are formed by the expansion and contraction of clay.

These geological processes have been ongoing for millions of years, sculpting the Bouddi Peninsula into the spectacular coastline we see today, complete with headlands, rock platforms, bays, beaches, dunes, and lagoons​​​​​

Thanks, Saudie. Interesting information.

Thanks Alfredo. The poem is a tanka inspired by @Ben_van_der_Sande Ben’s haiku which is a really interesting form of Japanese poetry. No I hadn’t thought of submitting it to LensWork, I think I’ll subscribe it looks like a great publication! Thanks for the feedback! :+1:

1 Like

Agreat find that Tanka. I am gonna work with it . It looks like a dubble Haiku, thank you, Don. I am 76 but still learning !,!

1 Like

Me to Ben, me to, never stop learning!

Another very wonderful image! I though of yin and yang before I saw the poem.

I think you should definitely submit to LensWork! I’d bet you have some we haven’t even seen… (Hint, hint.)

Thanks Diane! I had to look at for a loooong time before I saw it. I am going to subscribe to LensWork it looks like a great publication! I have tons more, I’ll go digging.