The Stony Path

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any? Not sure if the fg is strong enough

Pertinent technical details or techniques: Canon 7D, 10-22 @ 10, 1/320 @ f10, ISO 400

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

Wandering along this moorland path flanked by woods in an old country estate, I was finding little to shoot but rather liked the meandering nature of the path itself, so took this.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ā€˜igā€™ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
1 Like

Ian,

Lovely. Very quiet and pastoral. I think you did a great job incorporating the rocky road. Yeah, the path disconnects at the bend there, but the entire path is clearly implied and finishes off on the far hill.

Great and complimentary sky - any more up top? thatā€™s ok if you donā€™t, thereā€™s just enough. I like the dappled light as itā€™s clear the clouds overhead are creating some passing shadows.

Processing, colors look great. Only small suggestion might be to burn down a few of the flat stones on the path near the bottom. Not a huge deal though.

Thanks for sharing.

Lon

Ian, this is a lovely photo. Like Lon, I would love to see just a bit more sky. Another suggestion, in the ā€œnitā€ category, is I would crop the bottom a bit. That patch of green grass and stone in the bottom part of the road catches and holds my eye. I took the liberty of stretching the sky up a bit (which distorted the clouds), and cropped the bottom and a tiny bit of the left side. Not sure if I like it better. with these edits, just food for thought.

Ian, when I think of the countryside in the UK this type of scene comes to mind, very lovely.
I like the visual break in the path and then itā€™s continuation in the distance, I find it creates interest. My only wish is for a bit more room on top as the others have mentioned. This is wonderful as presented!

1 Like

Another impressive lesson in composition, the color palate here maybe undeserving of your abilities.
TY

I like this image a lot Ian, itā€™s a fine addition to your countryside series. I agree with @Alan_Kreyger, Iā€™mi fascinated by visual break and continuation of the road in the distance. The implied continuation of the road in the mid-ground, and then having it rise up on the next hill is very eye-catching.

I think the cloud comments you have received on this image relate directly to a point raised by @Igor_Doncov in a recent post, about is it more effective to leave some breathing room around clouds at the top of the frame. In this I think it would have been better to see more clouds at the top, they feel too cut off in the composition as presented. Even if there wasnā€™t a lot of breathing room above, I would like to see the full tops of the large cloud on the right.

Beautiful and inviting winding path. I would not mind a bit more sky, as it feels a bit cut off to my eye. It still works nicely as is, though.

Thank you @Lon_Overacker, @Tony_Siciliano, @Harley_Goldman, @Alan_Kreyger, @Ed_McGuirk, @stevenm for all comments. I did have quite a bit more sky but decided to try for a fg emphasis with a high horizon line. Looking at the version very kindly provided by @Tony_Siciliano Iā€™m indeed feeling I went too far.