The sun is just climbing the hill

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I took this photo some years ago in the hills behind Rimini my town which is located on the Adriatic coast. I was there early at dawn when the sun was already rised over the sea but it was still too low for climbing over the hill. I waited for the very moment when the sun just peeps over the hill. I had a few minits and the magic was gone but left me with the emotion in my eyes.
I submitted this image to Alister Benn when he was hosted in NPN for critiquing some photos posted by NPN members. I asked him if he too felt an emotion when looking at this image. Yes he answered above all for the long shades and give me also two suggestions that I soon applied. Now I decided to post the image in the critique category asking if you too feel a bit of emotion.

Specific Feedback

Do you feel a bit of emotion looking at this image?

Technical Details

D 850, Nikkor 200mm - f/11, 1/40s, ISO 64.

1 Like

Gigi: Wonderful scene and conditions. I especially like the juxtaposition of the dense and lighter shadows as they progress down the hill side. Marvelous capture of a special moment in time. >=))>

The thumbnail immediately caught my attention. I love this! The texture in the hillside is fantastic, as is the deep green color. This almost has an abstract quality to it, even though it isn’t abstract. Fantastic image!

Quite wonderful and very dramatic! Abstraction is a major element here, which makes me wonder about the potential of B/W.

This is so cool looking Gigi. The long shadows created by the rising sun are flat out gorgeous as are the textures in the grass. As far as emotions; this makes me happy. It looks as though it’s the beginning of a new and great day.

Guiseppe,

What a wonderful moment in time. The long shadows streaking over the hill of cultivation quite actually captures one of those moments that even the view can relate to; that feeling of anticipation of the sun peaking over the horizon and in this case awaiting for that peak moment of the shadows extending across the landscape.

The emotion of aniticipation or peak conditions I can sense. Emotion beyond the moment, well it’s like, “well, party’s over, time to catch the next act…” or something like that.

I was unsure about the presence of the building, but for sure, it’s all part of the story and you do such a great job of photographing your back yard. Well done!

Lon

Thanks Bill Fach, Bret Edge, Diane Muller, Ed Lowe and Lon Overacker for your very welcome comments and for your answer to my question.
Thanks again.

My emotion is the feeling of how quickly wonderful moments can pass us by if we aren’t mindful. Light like this doesn’t last long, and the moment you captured is special.

It’s true John, this can be the real reason of my emotion too. Thanks for your answer.

1 Like