The Superpower

A tiny orb weaver (I think it’s a marbled) seems to levitate, but it’s just you cant see the thread it’s hanging from.

I spent a lot of time chasing this one around the edge of the deck railing in hopes I could catch it doing something interesting. It kept moving like crazy, but I persisted and I finally got a shot that doesn’t suck. IRL s/he’s about 1 cm from face to spinnerets.

Specific Feedback Requested

Does the lack of spider line/silk make this seem too weird or fake? I promise it isn’t.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Lumix G9
P/L 45mm f/2.8 macro
f/5.6 | 1/60 sec | ISO 500 | +2/3 EV
Handheld

Lr processed for a bit of an exposure boost, clarity & texture, sharpening & nr. The usual. I don’t think this is much of a crop if at all.

@the.wire.smith

Very nice, Kris. Wonderful details in him, and nice smooth background. It does look like he is just suspended in mid air! Very nice.

Very cool, with very nice DOF. We all know it’s suspended somehow and don’t need to see the evidence – it’s about the structure/morphology of the spider, and its acrobatic abilities. Well done!!

Hi Kris,

About the only way to get more of the silk to show is to use a flash and smaller aperture. The results of your endeavor are very successful. The suspended spider adds some suspense and with more open space on the bottom suggests gravity will influence the intended direction of motion if the spider falls. BG is nice and reducing the green and yellow saturation before printing would be all that this image needs. Well done…Jim

Thanks @Shirley_Freeman, @Diane_Miller & @Jim_Zablotny - it was quite the chase, but such a cute little spider that I had to try. You’re probably right about catching the silk in this light - I’d have needed a flash. I’m pretty sure I brought the bg colors down, but maybe not enough if I wanted to print it.

1 Like

Kris, the spider looks great and the background is nicely inviting. In the large version, I can see the web between the two rear legs (far side) and her spinneret if I look very carefully, but that doesn’t lessen the nice feeling of the spider levitating.

Your superpower is an eye for the tiny detail!