The Survivor & repost by Keith

Out of the water and walking towards me…

Closer yet! And resting, it was a very hot day….

On one of the shores of the Willamette River there is quite a big group of ducks that hang out. There were originally a number of ducklings but now just this one is left. Hopefully it will make it.

Specific Feedback Requested

Anything, sharing a couple other images of this baby. Do you think the crop and lighting is ok? Sun was behind me and it was shaded by trees. I really like the water shot with the movement in the water, I think it has a peaceful look to it. What are your thoughts?

Technical Details

ISO 1600, 1/640, 300mm (450mm equivalent), f6.3

2 Likes

Adorable images, Vanessa. Amazing you have gotten so close. Nicely seen.

1 Like

Vanessa, these are wonderful images. Great catch. I assume this was before or after sun, or possibly overcast sky? The color is quite cool, which is fine but you mentioned it being a hot day.

In any case, I too hope the little guy/gal makes it.

Cheers,
David

2 Likes

Well, they are certainly very cute. Something about baby animals that just bring a smile.

I came back to this post after my first look. I re-read the situation with the sun behind you and the subject shaded by the trees. So I’m assuming this is not dawn/dusk.

The color balance is very, very blue and overall the images are underexposed. I grabbed the first image and did a few color and luminance corrections. I’m sure more could be done, but as an example of what I’d do to begin working the issues.

1 Like

Thanks @linda_mellor @David_Bostock and @Keith_Bauer! Yeah, I can see how I might have not described things right but it was about 6pm. So, this time of year, sun was behind me in the west but hidden by the trees and it was very dark shadows. I like what you did with it @Keith_Bauer even though the processing is a lot brighter than the scene, but I guess that’s why we have processing to make things look better than it already did! It’s been really hot, like 80 still at sunset @David_Bostock and I could see that the ducks seemed really tired from the heat of the day, but were finally getting some relief from the water and shade combo, I guess enough that they started coming out and laying down to sleep! I’ll have to try going back in and working with the adjustments. Thank you for the feedback!

1 Like

Very nice sequence of shots. The third shot seems to capture the cuteness of the duckling the best. I like the treatment Keith did; brings out the color and detail.

1 Like

A very nice sequence, Vanessa, with excellent detail. I agree with Keith on the processing. A little tweaking can make these really special.

1 Like

Good job in capturing these images. I like the sequence and Keith has done some excellent processing to remove the color cast. It’s all part of the learning experience and being a member on the site.

1 Like

Thanks @Allen_Brooks @Dennis_Plank and @David_Schoen . Yeah, I like what @Keith_Bauer did too! It really brings out the yellowish feathers more. Thanks for looking and your feedback!