The Thistle Cafe’ - Grand Opening!

At first when I came to one of my favorite places I was so disappointed because they had mown down so much of the flowers! It looked like there was nothing left. Then I saw this small stand of thistles and the closer I got I couldn’t believe all the activity going on! It was like a mini city!

Specific Feedback Requested

I was trying to get as many insects and flowers in focus as I could, so got as close as my camera would let me and the thorns! Anything else.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Nikon D3400
55mm
1/500
f/8
ISO 800
Crop and minor adjustments in light, sharpened, detail

apani.hill

The big thistles are a great pollinator attractor, Vanessa. The tips of the flowers are significantly overexposed. Getting detail in both the brights and the darks likely means that you need a light overcast, rather than direct sun. The bee coming from the bottom corner is a fine extra bit.

1 Like

Venessa, maybe by them mowing down most of them caused the bees of different types to have to share the flowers that were left, which worked out nicely for you. I agree with @Mark_Seaver on the brightness. I also like the bee flying in.

1 Like

Thanks @Mark_Seaver and @Shirley_Freeman for looking and your feedback! Yeah, I kind of thought it was too bright as well, I guess like you say it’s more the lighting and my bad choice of time of day.

If you enjoyed the moment, I think that is worth a lot. I know I don’t always get to be out when it is the golden hour, but if I get to point my camera at something, and enjoy doing so, to me, that is worth so much.

1 Like

Well said @Shirley_Freeman ! That’s the reason I started getting into photography in the first place because I just love being out in nature and love to hike and love animals and just want to be able to capture what I see. Sometimes I get discouraged because I can’t put in a photograph how beautiful something really was or made me feel. But it’s those times that I just have to remember that I enjoy being out there whether I had a camera or not! ‘Enjoy the moment’!

1 Like