The turtle and the wood duck

Secomd post is redone with more green and less warmth.

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Making color adjustments on this was difficult if I warming up and get rid of the magenta cast that I have a blue cast on the leaves in front. The color of the leaves in front is currently pretty accurate and this is a warm image. I did use a photo filter orange. There were a lot of problems with respect to glare. At this point I don’t want to do anymore although I know it needs to be cooled down a bit.

Specific Feedback

any

Technical Details

200 to 600 at 600 mm, ISO 2000, F9, 1250th, alpha A1 Sony, tripod

Glad to see you posting again, David. Great look at the Wood Duck and nice to see the entire duck. The turtle adds interest as does the perch. I took it into PS and using a Color Balance layer, I decreased the reds and bumped up the greens, but not knowing the actual color of the water at the time makes for an uncertain result, but removing the red/magenta does seem to help.

Hi David, nice scene with the wood duck paired with the turtle. I’m wondering if the use of filters and other post processing through this off color-wise. Not sure what the original looked like - I tend to leave soft, orange light as is as opposed to trying to revert everything back to a field guide view. Definitely a tricky issue when dealing with warm colors. Still a magnificent male wood duck in an interesting scene.

HI David. The original post did look a little off. I’m inclined to think somewhere between the two posts would look right to me, but that is just me.

I really like the composition of this image. I think it’s worth playing with in post to get it just the way you want it.

I like the repost, though still wonder about reducing the red in the log and turtle, but hard to say, not having been there.