The Wind in His Hair

Hi Folks,
I took a number of abstracts while at the Out of Oregon Conference. The abstracts are the ones really sticking with me in the dark room (er, well, in LR).

I shot a half dozen sand patterns, but this one really spoke to me when I got back to the computer. To me, it looks like long hair blowing in the wind.

Specific Feedback Requested

The image was naturally darker at one end (darker sand, I think) and I felt like that added to sense of this being long strands of hair. Not sure it works though, or that the hair metaphor is even helpful or compelling in any way. Should I dodge the top a bit or lessen that tonal variation with a gradient filter?

Do the textures exiting the bottom of the frame distract? I usually do pretty good edge patrol, but it didn’t bother me on this one, so I left them.

Any other feedback you have is always much appreciated. I learn a lot from all of you and take suggestions (and yawns of ennui) seriously but not personally.

Technical Details

Black and White conversion in LR. Didn’t feel the need for Silver Efex on this one.

5 Likes

Just a lovely abstract Marylnne. To me, sand patterns are wonderful…they never fail to produce a sense of wonderment with all of their endless variations. The tonal change from dark at the top to lighter at the lower left corner immediately made me think of the mane of a horse in full gallop…and I am certainly not a horsey person. That tonal change also being reflected in increased detail just reinforces the effect for me. Just love it. Cheers.

1 Like

Good eye and wonderful image Marylynne! Sand patterns can make great subjects for abstract images. I do see the reference to horse mane. The small textures at the bottom could be cloned out easily but I don’t find them too distracting. You could try a tighter crop but I like seeing the ends of the patterns at the bottom.

1 Like

Beautiful image Marylynne! This is a really nice sand abstract. The hair in the wind metaphor is very appropriate for this image. I really like that the pattern is dispersed throughout the frame rather than flowing to a central “trunk” as most sand patterns seem to do. The textures exiting at the bottom do not detract for me. I wouldn’t change anything on this one. Well done!

1 Like

Wow this is really nice. I really don’t have anything to say. I love the composition!

1 Like

Very nice!! No suggestions for improvement, but I do wonder about a vertical flip or 180 to put the darker weight at the bottom.

1 Like

Thanks Diane. I think I shot it with dark at the bottom? It it felt lifeless to me that way, so I flipped and/or rotated. I can’t remember how many contortions I gave it, but only in this orientation did it take on a kind of streaming mane life.

That said, flipping it gives it a haunting tree-like quality, so it might be I r of those “two-fers”—two pics in one frame.

FWIW, I often spin and flip abstracts just in case something creates a different kind of ah hah moment.

Hi Marylynne,

A little late here, but had to comment. Love this! Wonderful image; fabulous, flowing patterns. “Nature’s veins”… but I can go with wind in the hair too! Terrific abstract.

And one of the great things here is lack of scale. We’ve seen lots of aerials now with the drones, so who’s to know if this is from 3ft or 300ft?

i haven’t tried to flip, but honestly, this works great for me. Interesting too, but I actually like the little bit of open space at the bottom. It gives the whole image space. Not sure how to describe.

No nits or suggstions! Great vision and capture.

Lon

1 Like

Wonderful image, Marylynne. Just a perfect scene and a perfect capture. Well done.

1 Like

I love these sand abstracts. I shot a bunch on my summer trip to the PNW in Washington but nothing even close to this good. I find that I’m more attracted to the bottom of the image where there is such detail so I did a crop. Not sure if it’s better or not. It takes away the feeling of hair so that may not be your intention. I thought I would just share it with you. The bottom edge really doesn’t bother me at all. If it does you it would take no time to clone those out. I love the B&W conversion too. Well done.

1 Like

Thanks @David_Haynes . I like this crop too. One of my favorite things about abstracts is the sheer number of possibilities in one frame.

I like it rotated to look like snaggly trees too, so I’m not wedded to the hair/mane metaphor. I’ll keep playing with this and other sand images from the shoot.