This is MY lunch!

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Found this guy sitting in a tree, with mama nearby in the nest. At first he was holding the gopher in his talon and I had just thought, from my vantage point, that his leg was very fluffy, then he reached down and pulled it up and just looked at me! I was so surprised at what it was! Then he put it back in his talon, and closed his eyes to take a nap.

Technical Details

Shot with my 600 mm lens, cropped. Shutter priority.

4 Likes

Judi, I’d like to thank this owl for his service in helping cull the gopher population… :laughing:
This is a wonderful story in a single image… :+1: :+1:

1 Like

Excellent detail, Judy and the gopher in the beak makes a great story. You mention that it’s cropped: if you have more room on the bottom for the tail of the owl (even if it’s hidden behind the branch) it would be nice to have it. It’s always tempting to crop tightly, especially with a busy background, but the bird can start feeling rather crowded.

lol! Right!

Hi Judi, nice detail on the owl and gopher. Love those yellow eyes and the ear tufts too! I could see adding some space below as Dennis suggests. Nice catch.

1 Like

Another one I missed while being out for a few days when this was posted. This is such a nice look at the GHO, especially with the gopher. It has such a concentrated look and those ears are sticking up like radars. The eyes have it here!