Thrill of Hope

Sony A77II
Minolta 200mm macro
ISO 100, 1/6 @ f16

2018 was a difficult year for me. In February our clinic suffered a financial setback that threatened to close the doors. In March I was diagnosed with prostate cancer but since I needed a hip replacement I was able to defer the treatment until after the surgery. The hip replacement went well and I went home the next day only to suffer a severe A-Fib incident two days later which put me back in the hospital and on enough drugs to choke a horse. I lost 20 pounds in about two weeks and had zero appetite which is NOT me! I was able to get off some of the meds and started feeling better. In September I started nine weeks of daily radiation therapy. Toward the end of September my childhood best friend who went to school with me from first grade through optometry school died suddenly and unexpectedly. I finished the radiation therapy in early November but wouldn’t know until a few months later whether it was effective or not. This past Monday my oncologist called me with the good news that I’m cancer free. The financial crisis at our clinic is somewhat relieved and I’m over the side effects of the radiation and able to get out and exercise.

I’m sharing what some might consider a tale of woe to emphasize that trials can indeed make one stronger, especially spiritually. For the past 15 years I’ve been a volunteer chaplain and Bible teacher in the Texas State prison system. My faith has been strengthened this past year in ways that I could not imagine.

So what does this have to do with photography? Well 2019 has started off wonderfully. We had a very mild winter and our garden is coming to life early. Chrissy thought our osteospermums were dead but like me they are very much alive and blooming joyfully. If you are so inclined check out the link to Peaks and Valleys. My best friend and fellow minister told me a number of years ago that while we love the view from the mountaintop, most things grow best in the valleys. All comments welcome. >=))>

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Beautiful image that certainly demonstrates new spring hope.
So sorry you’ve had such a tough year - but you are tougher and stronger ! Sure glad you’re much better and back to feeling well, as we anticipate the promises of Easter.
Sandy.

A lovely composition and great processing, Bill. Sorry to hear about the bad year you had, but it sounds like you’re starting off on the upswing this year.

Good Sunday for your physical recovery, Bill. 1 Corinthians 15:35-38, 42-50. The image relates as well, as do so many of your images—reflecting wholeness in the partial. Good sermon material.

So sorry to hear what a year you’ve had, Bill, but delighted for you that things are coming back to normal. A most beautiful image in every respect - composition, focus, light and colour.

Its amazing how nature can give hope for the future. This image portrays the beauty of spring and hope for the future. An excellent presentation.

Wishing you a wonderful 2019.

Thanks for sharing the link to the inspirational video.

Bill
Thank you for sharing this and the inspirational slide story. I’m glad you are ascending from your personal valley and are now ascending the peaks. I’ve shared your inspirational presentation with someone who is in a valley that seems never-ending (as most valleys do).
Glad your personal garden is blooming Bill.

Oh wow, Bill! First, I am sorry you had to go though such a valley, but at the same time, I am thankful that you saw the good and growth along the way! I love the title, the beautiful image of these lovely flowers, but your sharing from the heart of what 2018 was for you was even more inspiring! Praying for you to have an excellent 2019 in your ministry as well as your photography!

Bill,

Very sorry for the loss of your friend and also for all the trials and tribulations. Sounds like you’ve got a much brighter 2019 ahead.

Love what you’ve captured and presented here. My initial thought was the bouncing ball syndrome of having the two prominent subjects. But then I notice the very subtle change in luminosity between the two, as well as the slight offset, that this is really quite masterful! Outstanding job processing this for such a subtle effect.

Can I be real nitpicky? Just wishing for tad more canvase/bg above the tallest petal along upper right edge. No biggie, just a little tension there.

Lon

Bill, you posted two suns that through warm and vivid light on life. My 2018 was sad like your, a cancer took my wife away from me after 50 years together. Slowly I am now coming back to life again. Nature can give us new strength. Your portrait of these splendid flowers can do it.