Tiny Dancers + Repost

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

This is the same succulent flowers that I shot a couple weeks ago. The stem got much longer and more flowers popped out. There was a slight zephyr of wind which inspired the title but I got enough calm to do a stack. All comments welcome. >=))>

Technical Details

Sony A7RIII
Sony FE 70-200 f2.8 GM-II @ 148mm
ISO 800, 1/60 @ f6.3
10 image stack Helicon Focus

Per the suggested dodging. Painted in some color over the dark spots.

Critique Template

Use of the template is optional, but it can help spark ideas.

• Emotional Impact:
  • Mood Creation:
  • Composition:
  • Balance and Visual Weight:
  • Depth and Dimension:
  • Textures and Patterns:
  • Use of Color:
  • Lighting:
  • Subject and Genre:
  • Post-processing:
  • Technical Aspects:

Bill, I’m thoroughly enjoying the dreamy sense the your views of this plant create. I do think you could enhance that feeling with some dodging of the darkest areas, especially the big triangle in the upper left.

1 Like

Lovely soft feel to this one, Bill. It is also quite lyrical, IMHO. The stem looks like a musical note to me. I do agree with @Mark_Seaver about burning down the back a bit. As for the stack, when I zoom in it is hard for me to know what you wanted sharp and not. More than likely it is just my old eyes having a hard to focusing :rofl:
Nicely done.

Bill, I would be tempted to place a card of suitable color behind this lovely stem, just to see how it came out (though it may not be easy to fix up), Then you could concentrate only on getting the focus on your subject, without any concerns about the BG. Not natural - but just as an exercise in making the stack simpler to effect.

Gorgeous stem with fantastic sharpness and detail! I think the RP is just right!

I like this a lot, Bill. I do see the one bloom on the back side that’s not in focus, but it doesn’t bother me. I like the out of focus nature of the background though there is a mottled look to the background in the lower left corner and in the bright background leaf to the right of the main cluster that I find a bit distracting. The way the stem comes down and curves through the frame is awesome.

Looking at it again, I think you have a twofer here, with just the bottom half making its own very strong image.

Hi Bill,
I love the colors of this creeping flower. I agree with Diane that you have a really nice image in the bottom half.

For me, the lobe-like background shape in the upper left (just inside the dark triangle in the original and still visible in the rework), keeps presenting a distraction for me. I’ve looked at this a couple of different days to see if the distraction would fade, and it hasn’t yet. I don’t think others mentioned it, so it could just be me.

If you wanted to reduce that distraction, I think you could interrupt that circle with some creative healing. It only feels like a shape because it is so continuous and distinct. If you want me to take a stab at it, I could. You would probably handle it better though.

ML