To Catch a Wave

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I arrived in the early morning light, hoping to greet the rocks and the sea in solitude. But life had other plans, as fishermen joined the scene, casting their lines and hopes into the waking waters. I wasn’t that disappointed.

Specific Feedback

Any feedback welcome.

Technical Details

27 mm at ISO 100 and 1⁄640sec at ƒ/11

This is very nice, Saundie and I love the title. All the interest in the image is in the right half, so I played around with an alternate crop just to see if it would work. I ended up having to clone out a bit of the rock in the lower left corner, though it might still look ok with it there. Anyhow, take a look and see what you think.

I really liked them both. Dennis your shot cut out a lot of rock and brought the fisherman up closer and made it more the center of attention. But I like the original because I see more nature outside the rocks and see more surroundings. That tells a different story which makes it less about the fisherman. I like the mirror image of the splashing wave and the fisherman. thanks Saundie, wish I was there.

While I like them both, I prefer @Saundie original with perhaps a slight top crop to remove the top right small cloud but still retain the complete fishing rod.

@Dennis_Plank @Jim_Gavin @SkipsPics

Thank you for the feedback! I appreciate your suggested crop, Dennis. I agree with John that it shifts the focus of the image, presenting a compelling alternative. For me, the essence of the shoot was the landscape; the fisherman’s appearance was a serendipitous addition. Given my original aim, I believe the wider crop better aligns with my objective. Had the focus been on the fisherman, Dennis’s approach would indeed be superior. Jim, regarding your cropping suggestion, is the goal to eliminate the cloud or to alter the aspect ratio? If it’s about removing the cloud, do you think cloning it out would be effective?

I have included a shot without the fisherman. I’d be keen to hear if you think the shot is richer or poorer without the fisherman?

I don’t think the image you posted without the fisherman is richer or poorer, Saundie-just different. It’s about a sunset over the water with nice rocks in the foreground and a wave coming in. Quite beautiful. The original was the same thing, but the fisherman made it partly about him and your title gave it something of an element of humor-something I like a lot.

1 Like

I did not intend changing the aspect so cloning it would be fine. I agree with Dennis; both stand alone and are fine images. I do like Dennis’s crop for emphasis on the fisherman but would not take so much that we can’t see the tip of the pole.

1 Like

Although I prefer the 1st shot, the title does make it about the fisherman catching a wave or something. He fits great in the shot over the sun and in the mirror image. Without him in the FG I think the shot looks better cropped. Maybe crop it at the rock line and keep the whole sky and fisherman. Either way this is still a great sunrise shot.

1 Like

@Jim_Gavin

It makes a difference. Thanks Jim!

Thanks John appreciate your feedback. :+1: