Toad on a fence post

What technical feedback would you like if any?

I’m ot usually a macro/closeup photographer so appreciate any feedback. I saw this guy sitting on a fence post and thought there was something worth capturing.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Any pertinent technical details:

F/11 1/180 ISO 160

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Steve, this is a fine look at this little critter, with very good details in it’s eyes and in the weathered post. The well coordinated colors look great. I like where you’ve put it in this image, although in this case because of it’s pose, you could also crop from the right to center the critter. If this was about an inch long, I’d suspect that it’s either a Gray tree frog or a Spring peeper rather than a toad. Both of those small frogs are native to the eastern half of the USA and Canada. The tree frog changes color depending on what it’s sitting on, while the peeper has a darker X on it’s back.

Wonderful macro shot, Steve. I am enjoying the colors. It does appear that it changed colors to match the post. I agree with Mark, maybe crop a bit off the right and center him in this image. I know, we have taught the rule of thirds, but rules are to be broken at times, and I think maybe this one would be it. Great shot, wonderful details where needed.

There certainly was something worthwhile here, Steve. I love the angle you used, it suits the subject perfectly. I do think jacking up the iso and stopping down some more would have been nice. I kind of like the near foreground going out of focus, but I find myself wishing it stayed in focus to the back of the toad.

Great eye and excellent composition.

Thanks Mark. If I remember right, the little guy was about 2 and half or 3 inches long. I’ll play around with a more centered crop and see what that looks like. Appreciate the feedback.

Thanks Shirley. I almost didn’t see this guy because the color match was so good. I almost put my hand on top of the post. I think that’s why it has the mean look!

Steve: Great find and a fine capture. I’m OK with your DOF/POF choice and I especially like the light. Cropping from the right would work for me but I like this very much as is. :+1::+1:>=))>