Toogoom

Toogoom is a tiny town on the Fraser Coast in Queensland. When the tide goes out, it goes out for miles.

With nothing but sky and sand to shoot I was happy when this family wandered into view. Captured using ICM with an upward move.

I hope it passes for high key?

Specific Feedback Requested

Any comments or criticisms are welcome!

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
I have lost the RAW files in an external hard-drive fail, so no details. The techs would have been basic ICM settings using a 600mm lens.

2 Likes

The soft light tones are nice. I don’t know if it qualifies, technically, or not, but I like your choice of exposure, and the use of ICM to make it more abstract and painterly.

Regardless of whether or not it qualifies, I am really enjoying the softness, the colors and the simplicity of this scene. The family evens blends in great with the main color scheme. Nice, creative work.

Glennie, the subtle motion blur really lets the people stand out. The broad swaths of color look great. Iworks fine as high-key, although you might brighten the sky just a touch to push that idea further.

Glennie, what a welcome change from the typical ice and snow (guilty, as charged :smiley:). I was curious, so downloaded your photo to my computer to check the histogram…and there’s a ton of points to the right so I think your good for high-key. As others have said, your techniques created a pleasing, almost surreal image of a beach scene.

This is really nice Glennie. I’m generally not that into ICM but this image just WORKS. It is extremely artistic and painterly looking with just the right amount of motion blur. I love everything about this Glennie. As Jim pointed out, you have lots of room on the histogram to push this more towards a high key image but either way, I have to say, I just love this image and it has me totally rethinking tastefully done ICM! Thanks for that.

I really like the dreamy quality of this photo along with the simplicity. Nice use of ICM to soften the image.

Late to the party but I had to take a moment and tell you how much I love this image, high key or not. It has a wonderful sense of mood and the softness here is so much more than a gimmick. Much as with Keith Carter’s photographs, the softness gives this picture a sense of timelessness as well as a voyeuristic feel that I’ve been given entree into a very intimate moment in the lives of these people. An image I could certainly look at over and over, which is pretty much the highest compliment I can give.

Thankyou everyone for your kind comments. It’s very encouraging.

I may post one or two other ICMs.