Top Ten from Kris

This will be the first place other than my photography blog where I write about my top shots for the year. I won’t go into as much detail as I will there (I hear you sigh with relief), but I will talk about why each made the cut. Partially it will be on technical and/or artistic merit, partially on whether it pushed or challenged me as a photographer either in the field or in processing and partially just because I like the picture. These are my rules, I make ‘em up.

Taken in chronological order -

February
Never Met a Stranger

Because damn - lickable light. And the composition doesn’t suck. And shadows. Patterns and repetition. The hint of a trail. Perfect powder.

Growth/development = processing

Mental Twin

Because fog. And that I actually got out of the car in the snow and the wind to get this. The composition was good to start, but flipping this horizontally made it better - there is better visual flow to the partially obscured tree in back.

Growth/development - compositional risks and payoffs, processing

April

With wider perception

Isn’t this a beauty? I love the shapes and colors, the unexpected details and the overall presentation of the lichen with that smooth background.

Growth/development = Focus bracketing & stacking

June

Frequent visitor

Because ruby-throat! The light was just right for it to show up so well. The details are pretty good and the pose is pleasing.

Growth/development = wildlife/birding skills

August

Mystery at the base of a tree

Because it glows. And it’s so perfect in all its mushroomy cuteness.

Growth/development = LED panel (constant artificial light source) & focus stacking

Success!

Because we got it! The bird - a meal and me a shot of it getting its meal.

Growth/development = wildlife/birding & kayak photography skills

September

Earthly angels

Because lickable light again!

Growth/development = Focus bracketing & stacking, Photoshop & Zerene skills

October

Three canoodlers

Because Snakes! In! A! Tree! Completely new behavior for me and woah, on technical merits the photo is pretty killer - all three heads are in focus and the light is tasty.

Growth/development = Wildlife photography, keeping my eyesight acute

The heart never waits

Because just look at that composition. It’s true that low and close work in landscape photography. That and a pair of tall boots.

Growth/development = going the extra mile for a killer composition

November

No peace for you

Because wow. A bird just taking off in a classic pose and in freaking focus.

Growth/development = Birding/wildlife & lens handling & Photoshop skills

Specific Feedback Requested

any and all constructive feedback is welcome

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
All vary in terms of what I did to capture and process each photo but they were all done with the following tools -

Lumix G9
Various Panasonic and Leica lenses
Adobe Lightroom & Photoshop including the TK8 Combo & Multi mask panels
Topaz Labs Sharpen and Denoise AI
Zerene photo stacking software
Various tripods, filters & fiddly bits

@the.wire.smith
2 Likes

Nice collection and #1 and #2 top the list for me.

WOW, a fine collection here, Kris. I think April & September work best for me.

Excellent, Kris. Three snakes for me.

A fine collection, Kris. The garter snake view looks like an early spring “mating ball”.

All are wonderful, as are the comments as to what makes each special! The stream is my favorite!

Thanks to everyone who has dropped a comment. The advise and knowledge here on NPN has definitely improved my photography and I hope that is reflected in my top 10. Many of them received their final polish as a result of the critique here.

Beautiful photos. My favorite is the second one, in the fog. Beautiful composition.

This is an outstanding Top 10!

Thank you for the effort of including yoour thoughts behind the image. Your post has been a great read.

Thanks @Tony_Siciliano & @glennie - that foggy one seems to be the winner. Who knew Wisconsin winters could be so lovely and harsh at the same time?

I wondered about adding commentary, but since I do it every year anyway I thought I’d share. Goals don’t figure large in my photography plans, but if I get a new piece of kit whether for the camera or processing, I try to learn how to use it well. All in the name of being better at what I do.

Kris, a really great set of images. I love them all! In addition to the great subjects and compositions they all represent and show the great quality of your images in every detail and step of the image-making process. My favorite are the mystery at the base of the tree and the mental twin.

A beautiful set of images for sure! I especially love all of the mushroom shots.