Lancaster 10 Best of 2020

This 10 Best of 2020 collection contains 10 of my personal favorites from the year.

2020 was a year of tremendous growth of my vision - I am moving away from big landscape shots toward much more personal, abstract, imaginative images that interpret the dimensions of space and time, explore natural processes, and express my own view of the world.

More fast and slow shutter speeds, ICM, B&W, and unique lighting experiences. Fewer wide-angles and traditional scenes.

If they help you see things slightly differently, drop a comment below.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any and all feedback is welcome.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No

4 Likes

Matt, nice work. I’m particularly fond of the second shot, the monochrome rocks, and your last color blur. All present something different and beautiful.

Max

1 Like

Oh, these are all lovely. I especially like your water abstracts - they are superb.

1 Like

Matt, what an excellent collection of images this is! Your transition into taking more abstract images
and smaller scenes has been very sucessful: Finding the scenes, the composition and the technical issues, all perfectly mastered. I am for sure looking forward to what you will post during 2021. My favourites are the water surfaces.

1 Like

Great collection, Matt!!

1 Like

You have a great body of work here Matt, it looks like a very productive year for you !!!

Image #3 is my favorite, it is liquid light at its finest. The metallic blue/silver tones are wonderful.

Image #6 is my second favorite. While water flowing over rocks is a common photographic subject, the long exposure and the skillful processing of light and shadow elevate this image to another level for me. It’s a very artistic interpretation of an everyday subject.

I’ve enjoyed watching your shift in artistic direction over the past couple years, and I look forward to seeing more of your evolution in style over the course of 2021. Keep them coming…

1 Like

Matt, this is a fine collection of images. I’m particularly fond of moving water shots, so those stand out. I also like the red sun through the trees view. It’s nicely moody and inviting.

1 Like

Beautiful images, Matt. It looks like you had a great year. My favorites of your favorites are #1, #9 and #5 (and I have no idea what the subject was in the last, but it really appeals to me).

1 Like

Out of all these wonderful images, I am most drawn to #3, #6, and #9 the most.
#3: I like how the water has taken on an almost metallic look and feels almost menacing.
#6: This is probably my favourite of the bunch and has a really great “fine art” look to it. The contrasts of both light and shadow, and hard textured rock against ultra smoothed out water are compelling.
#9: The overall warm tones and subject have a very romantic feeling. The path of grasses curving into the trees and the hazy sun feels like “the end” of something.

Cheers,
Mike

1 Like

#2 stands above the rest in my mind.

1 Like

One of us! One of us! :stuck_out_tongue:

You did great Matt. I always enjoy water abstracts, so 2, 4, and 10 are my favorites. #9 is lovely too, the arrangement and shape of the trees is perfect and the colors are fantastic.

I think #1 is nice, but on my screen I’m seeing some serious banding that kind of lessen its impact for me. I’m not really sure how to fix that - does anyone have thoughts on that?

1 Like

Those photos and exploration of your vision are inspiring Matt. Well done.

1 Like

Thanks so much for this comment, Ed. I, too, have enjoyed this ride I’m on in my artistic vision quest. I’ve received a great deal of support from you these last couple of years and really appreciate your thoughtful feedback. I’ll keep working to expand my world and keep you guessing!