Topographic Map

I was looking for interesting ice patterns in a Sierra Nevada Meadow during the thaw and found what I thought looks like a Topographic Map. The melted water below and the brown meadow grass gave it further texture that I like.

Specific Feedback Requested

I am open to any and all feedback especially DOF as I wanted most most of the ice in focus

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Olympus OMD EM5 Mark III / Olympus f2.8 40150Pro / ISO 320 / f5 / 1/25 sec.
Edited in LR and PS for dodge and burn

@kenhebert5
3 Likes

Great looking patterns and textures. I would be inclined to crop down to below the bright yellow area to eliminate the bright eye magnet and the OOF area. Otherwise, processing and comp look good.

Yeah, agree about the hotspot at the top. Overall textures are pretty sweet - so delicate. The upper section in the sun is particularly effective at showing both of those qualities.

Ken, the textures and colors in the lower 3/4th look great. Cropping out the blown highlights at the top would be good. The slightly soft bit at the bottom is fine, although personally, I shoot views like this as stacks to get sharpness throughout the frame. That however is an artistic choice. There’s an interesting bit of color fringing just above center near the right hand edge, which tells me you used a polarizer. Taming the highlights in a shot like this usually requires changing your position, since they are such bright reflections.

1 Like

Thank You all so much! It is interesting when it is my shot I get tunnel vision and see it one way. Nothing is only one way. The polarizer comment was brand new knowledge for me. The only way we learn is to be willing to make mistakes, although some of my mistakes are my favorite shots. Thank you!