Tracking Terns

Todays experiment is to spot and track a Tern that is coming straight at you. I manage to get three good shots off. This is the best of the three. The Tern was photograph at the Back River, in Old Lyme, Ct. Canon 7DII, Sigma 150-600mm, F8, 1/2500, 200mm, 400 ISO, hand-held.

Thank you for stopping by.

Peter

What technical feedback would you like if any?

any

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

any

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

Hi Peter,

You did a good job tracking this guy and the tern is in a pretty good spot on the frame. You may want to tighten up the crop slightly as there is a lot of room around the tern. Well done…Jim

Is this a least tern Peter? If so they are tiny and hard to capture at any angle let along coming right at you. It’s certainly not tack sharp but that’s to be expected. I bet you come away with a sharper one if given more time. :slight_smile:

This came out quite well, Peter. I haven’t had very good luck getting the auto-focus to track incoming birds, though I remember someone suggesting that rather than tracking with the AF on all the time, just bump it every now and then as the bird’s approaching and it seemed to work somewhat better when I tried it.

Hi
Thank you for the comments, Jim, David, & Dennis. Yes it a Least Tern. This shot was my third try of the day and Jim the posted photo is about a 40% crop. I did want to loose anymore detail.
Peter