Travertine Mist

I made this image during my visit to Yellowstone last month. I really liked all of the mist that was present due to the cool temperatures. I set up my camera and waited until the wind blew the mist just right so that the background trees were just partially visible and not complete revealed nor obscured.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
1 Like

The mist looks great and the image has a nice warm/cool look. Any images tighter in on just the formations and mist, taking it more abstract?

1 Like

Tom, this is a very good look at Palette Springs. Yes, with all the cold there were some very misty days, which can be good fun. The blue tones in the shaded white areas seem strong. The lighting looks great as is the distribution of mist.

2 Likes

Good call on letting the mist partially obscure the trees. Provides some nice separation. I agree about the blue in the water being a little strong.
:vulcan_salute:

1 Like

Thank you for your comments guys! I’ve been very busy over these past few days so I apologize for not replying sooner because I truly value your guy’s feedback.

Looking at the image again, I agree that the blues are a little too much so I turned them down a bit in this repost. I think it like it much better.

Hi Tom - Your repost looks great. I too like how the mist is partially hiding the trees.