Tree at Hotel Aiken

Tree at Hotel Aiken 2

Crop from left

Critique Style Requested: In-depth

The photographer has shared comprehensive information about their intent and creative vision for this image. Please examine the details and offer feedback on how they can most effectively realize their vision.

Self Critique

The first time I photographed this, it was after a rainstorm and I went with a lower angle. (Second image of the three.) But I thought this might need more room for the tree to be on something on the bottom. When I went back, I went up a little higher to make sure all the lines were parallel. But I think the sidewalk might come into play too much.

Creative direction

I want to keep the high-key look. Looking for three main things (anything else is also welcome): 1) Does having more or less of the ground help or hurt? 2) More contrast and darker lines with the windows? Or keep with the more ghost-like feel? 3) Crop from the left. I brings out the tree more, but does it lose something in the composition?

Specific Feedback

Any other aesthetic ideas are welcome.

Technical Details

Canon R
1st Image: ISO 800
1/2 second @ f/7
83mm
2nd Image ISO 400
1.6 seconds @ f/8
83 mm

Description

I was out on two different nights photographing this tree in front of a local hotel. What grabbed my attention was the way the tree was set off by the arch and with the windows. I think this will be the start of a little project of trees in urban-like settings.

I think this is very cool! I prefer one of the first two – still debating which one. I like the tension of the more horizontal format. (Did I just say I like tension in an image?? I did! And I do in this one. It works.)

I’ll go with the lower perspective of the second one – it fits with the unreal-ness of the scene. But I would suggest removing the lens distortion – make the horizontals horizontal and the verticals vertical. That removes the lens from the equation and gives a pure version of an excellently seen situation!

Thank you @Diane_Miller . Maybe that’s what I like about that second image, too, there is a little more tension. And maybe the less ground/earth for the tree actually helps with, as you say, the unreal-ness. If I do rework that one, I will get the lines to be squared off. Thanks for you input.

Definitely number 1 is best. The repetition of the windows is an important aspect to this composition and number 1 provides a good aspect ratio and enough space to make those windows fit right within the frame. I think there is tilt in number 2 with the windows going inward as you go up. I also prefer the darker sidewalk in 1 and 3 over the wet sidewalk in 2 although that’s debatable. I guess I prefer the gradation of light down there in 1 and 3. Yes, that’s it. I like the bottom of the building bright instead of dark. It fits with the ghost-like phenomena you were talking about. I guess the whole idea is the black outline of the tree against a white building. Having the window cut off in number 3 doesn’t work for me.

Another vote for number 1 Patrick. I like the brick walk texture in the foreground and the off-center position of the tree. I also feel the extra bit of texture in the curtains caused by the angle of light adds a lot to the image.

I’ll vote for #1, also. The darker sidewalk and street give the scene a grounding and seeing all three windows in their entirety is interesting. But what is most interesting to me are the shadows of the window grilles (had to look up what those are called!) on the sheets behind the windows. Seeing all of the 2 left-hand windows is satisfying because of the cool shadows. If you wanted more tension, #3 would fit that bill.

@Igor_Doncov, @Bonnie_Lampley, and @Dennis_Plank thanks for your feedback – and the new word Bonnie. Your ideas are helping me think through how I want to pull this together. I’ll be down by the place again tomorrow, and if there are no cars, I may try one other idea. Though, all three windows flows better for me as well. Wanted to see if others saw something I didn’t. Thanks again.