Tree-cicles - Inverted + Recropped

Inverted

Recropped Version

Original Version

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

This is from Moraine Lake in Banff NP, Alberta, Canada. It had snowed a little bit the day before and the trees were still covered with a nice frosting of snow. This reflects trees that were hundreds of feet above us on the cliffs above the lake. I love the crystaline and/or the icicle look of these reflected trees. I added an inverted version of the original similar to what @Bill_Fach did with his Mt. Rainier image. I think it shows what this is better.

Specific Feedback

Not sure about the rocks in the bottom of the shallow lake. . . they do provide a contrasting BG, but I’m not sure I like the clarity being able to see what they are so easily?

Technical Details

Samsung Galaxy s20 FE Cell Phone, f2.4, 1/60s, 7 mm. Cropped for composition.

Critique Template

Use of the template is optional, but it can help spark ideas.

• Vision and Purpose:
  • Conceptual:
  • Emotional Impact and Mood:
  • Composition:
  • Balance and Visual Weight:
  • Depth and Dimension:
  • Color:
  • Lighting:
  • Processing:
  • Technical:

Beautiful image! So well seen!

Fascinating image. I never would have figured out what it was without your explanation. I like the contrast of textures between the reflected trees and the submerged rocks. My only suggestion would be to crop in from the right to eliminate the bright white area. Nice work.

Ed: What a great find and fine capture. I’m ok with the rocks and a little surprised that they look so clear in an unpolarized image. I’ll second Chris’ suggestion about cropping the bright spot on the right edge. >=))>

Thank you very much @guy, @Chris_Baird and @Bill_Fach. I posted a very similar crop over in the Abstract category just yesterday I think. Bill, I think it is because this was in pretty deep shadow and it was a fairly cloudy day. Unless my cell phone automatically picked a polarizing setting?

Ed: Just what the doctor ordered. :+1: :+1:>=))>

Thanks Doc.

@Ed_Williams Revised edit looks great.

1 Like

Ed, this is a fascinatingly abstract icicle photo. Intriguing how the icicles seem sharp while the rocks show some rippled distortion. It’s also interesting how the distortion changes from top to bottom.

Thank you @Mark_Seaver. I wonder if the distortion is from standing at the edge of the lake and shooting out at the reflection?

Ed: The inverted shot is also very cool. Looks like a street lined with Christmas trees. >=))>

1 Like