Trees

A few kilometers from my home there is a row of poplar trees, near the river Meuse. I like the dark patterns on the bright, silvery bark. It was a bit difficult to find a position for the camera, to exclude as many signs of human activity as possible. Finally I succeeded without too much left for post-processing (apart from the fence, but that one isn’t bothering me).
I made two versions, the second with a 6:7 crop that removes the top of the first image.

Specific Feedback Requested

I’d like to read your opinions about the 2 versions, and all other comments are highly appreciated. As always.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Pentax K3 Mk. III, good old Takumar 2.5/135mm, f11, 1/40 sec. ISO200. Tripod.

1 Like

Hello Han,

What incredible lighting here. I really like these images. Well done. I think both work and I am a medium format shooter, so the 6:7 crop normally appeals to me. In this case, however, the first image seems to be a better fit for me. It has some majesty that the second one lacks…however, both work very well. Nicely done.

Hi Hans,

These trunks have a great graphical form. I prefer the first image as I like the frame that the leaves provides around the trunks. It gives the image a natural vignette effect as the leaves are darker and draws me more into the frame.

One more vote for the first image. I prefer how the trunks and branches are darker near the top frame. I thought the bright sky on the left to be an issue. Don’t know that much can be done though.

Great images! I like the first one best since the the leaves at the top together with the leaves to the right frame the trunks in a pleasant way. A minor thing, but for me the blue tint in the left and right BG could be reduced.

A vote for the second one with a minor change that allows the eye to rest on both the large tree trunks and the smaller fence posts, grounding both in a slightly different framing. To accomplish this, I did a selection of the BG, added a curves adjustment, set the blend mode to “Screen,” then tweaked the curve just enough to diminish the value of the BG but allow some features to show through.

These are really cool trees, with a lot of character and appeal. And I like your processing with the subtle colors and soft light.

Of the two versions presented, I prefer the first one. The longer aspect ratio shows more of the details and textures of the trunks and branches, which to me is the most appealing aspect of this image. With that said, the first image gets a little too busy for me at the very top. I might consider a third alternative which would be using 5:7, cropping away a slight bit at the top, Here is a rework doing that, but also with some darkening of the lower two corners.

Thank you @Ola_Jovall , @Ed_McGuirk , @Chris_Calohan , @Igor_Doncov , @David_Bostock , @Nathan_Klein for your contributions. You all give me something to think about and to reconsider my edit.
Interesting to see, that the versions with a lighter BG (Chris) and with darker corners (Ed) both indicate that they feel that something must be improved there, but the solutions are different. I understand both points of view.