Trout stream

What technical feedback would you like if any?any and all

What artistic feedback would you like if any? Any and all

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)
Sony A7III. 28-70. Tried a long exposure without a ND filter.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Tom,

I really like the feathery cascades and also the transition of the stream from the calm, flat water above.

Unfortunately though with the big mid-day light much of the white water caps are washed out. It’s often very hard to avoid with the white water, but in this case much of the water has lost all detail. I like the texture in the water you were able to obtain with the shutter speed, but just too many hot spots I think. This sure looks like a great spot if you could work this scene during early/late light or during overcast.

If you have a chance to work this scene again, you might concentrate on the cascade and transition and try and exclude the scrubby branches LLC and the upper bank (or include more of it.)

Thanks for sharing, hope this helps.

Lon

I can almost see you sitting next to the stream, having a coffee while enjoying the sound of the water!
I think Lon mentioned the technical issues the image has, with the blown out highlights of the water and some distraction from the upper bank, llc bush, and large branch on the grass.
I think I would go for a detail of the water without any of the other elements. If you don’t have a ND filter returning with less harsh light will help avoiding overexposure.

Tom, there are some interesting cascades here, but the harsh lighting is not doing the image any favors, the highlights in the water are too blown out. I try to photograph scenes like this on overcast days when the soft light reduces contrast and shadows, and allows the details and textures in a scene to stand out better. I also think you tried to include too much within the composition, which ends up creating distractions such as the bushes to the left. This is a scene where less would be more, and if this were mine, I might have tried to use a longer focal length to extract a tighter composition that filled the frame with more of just the cascading water and upper shoreline.