Twilight in Sugar Hill

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

A peaceful scene of lupines in front of Mount Lafayette, Sugar Hill, NH.

Specific Feedback

Any and all comments, critiques, suggestions, welcome

Technical Details

Nikon D800, 24mm, 1/8 &@ f/22, ISO 200

Critique Template

Use of the template is optional, but it can help spark ideas.

• Vision and Purpose:
  • Conceptual:
  • Emotional Impact and Mood:
  • Composition:
  • Balance and Visual Weight:
  • Depth and Dimension:
  • Color:
  • Lighting:
  • Processing:
  • Technical:
4 Likes

Michael, this is one of those scenes that I want to savor and enjoy. There is so much to catch the eye. That central clump of lupins, then the white ones, urge me to enjoy the gentle colors in the sky, then on to the moon. The V-shaped line of the trees also brings movement to the composition. This is a wall hanger for me. I am not a fan of large white borders, but that is how it would be framed to hang on a wall. My reaction to this picture is deeply emotional and signals tranquility and peace. Thanks for sharing.

1 Like

Hi Michael, This is a lovely image you have shared with us. It really captures the essence of a new england summers evening in the mountains. I’m quite jealous of your lupine discovery! Really nice work.

Yours turned out much nicer than mine did from that evening Mike. You found a wonderful clump of lupines and made them the focal point of the scene. This has a nice peaceful vibe of a beautiful summer evening in the White Mountains. Perfect twilight image.

Hi, the color and light contrast are well manage. I feel calm of day’s end and warm of a sunny day when I look at the image.
The moon is small but it fills well the right corner. The position of lupin’s flower gives a nice balance to the foreground and the image.
I would have maybe try to bring correction of distorsion in Pjotoshop or else of the lupin in the foreground.

The color palette in this is wonderful Mike. I love the excellent foreground flowers. The greens in the midground are so complementary, and the touch of color in the clouds with the fading blue sky really provide the finishing touches to this. I too would love to sit and watch that scene at the end of day.

Mike, this is a beauty. You focused nicely on the lovely bunch of lupine at the front. Including the distant mountain, a touch of sunset color and the nearly full moon adds a wonderful sense of depth and puts the viewer right there, enjoying the peace and quiet.

Very peaceful and serene - beautiful lupines, leading the eye to the mountain and bit of twilight.
Congrats on a fine EP!

Beautiful work. When I first saw this I was sure I would see @John_Williams name next to it. It just looks so much like something he would create. Great job. It’s flawless technically.

Congrats on the EP Mike!

Thanks @Ed_Williams , @Igor_Doncov , @SandyR-B , @Ed_Lowe , @guy , @Mark_Seaver , @Barbara_Djordjevic , @arnaud for the comments and suggestions. Much appreciated. :metal: