Twin Galaxies

Image Description

Found this small section of my local river completely frozen during the subzero temperature days from last December, where on careful observation I found this star shaped patterns of ice broken on the surface of the thin ice.

Type of Critique Requested

• Aesthetic: Feedback on the overall visual appeal of the image, including its color, lighting, cropping, and composition.

• Conceptual: Feedback on the message and story conveyed by the image.

• Emotional: Feedback on the emotional impact and artistic value of the image.

• Technical: Feedback on the technical aspects of the image, such as exposure, color, focus and reproduction of colors and details, post-processing, and print quality.

Specific Feedback and Self-Critique

Would love to pick your brain on this image as it is definitely one of my most powerful image (in my opinion) from last winter. Any and all feedback is of course welcome

Technical Details

ISO 100, f/11, 100mm, 1/15s.

2 Likes

Well I have to agree with you that it’s rather fantastic! There’s a wonderful sense of movement in it and also a sense that the cracks/galaxies are floating above the firmament…

Compositionally I think it works really nicely - it’s those ‘arcs’ of cracks that really set it off well…

In terms of post processing, I would be tempted to adjust the brightness of some of the ‘stars’ around the central cracks a bit using curves and some selective masking - just to balance things up and stop the larger ‘specks’ distracting as much. (I’ve attached a sample - nothing cloned out, just selective curves)

A definite one to go through the second round in my opinion.

Thanks a ton, Tim and also the advice on the post processing. Will surely look into it. Thanks again.

I love this image for the wonder that it leaves me with. Fantastic image! I like Tim’s suggestion for bringing out the luminosity in the stars. The title for the image perfectly matches the story behind the image. I wish this one was in my own portfolio.

1 Like

Hi Subhasish, well you certainly had me fooled, thinking this was a shot of the skies. A wonderful find and well presented. Tim’s suggestions make sense.

1 Like

Subhasish,

A mind bender to be sure! Galaxies? 100% - at least that was my initial impression and still is!

Love this as presented. I do think that if you really want to make sure the viewer thinks they’re looking at stars and galaxies, you might consider cloning out the larger, more irregular “stars”; one near the right and the other upper left. Some of the longer lines and shapes almost look like meteors, shooting stars… Very cool!

The deep blacks of space work really well here too. Thanks for posting!

Lon

1 Like

Very fascinating and original scene. While I can tell that it’s ice, probably because of my uncommon familiarity with the subject matter, it does definitely resemble a galaxy and have an intergalactic vibe to it.

1 Like

Way to Cool. Frozen Galaxy !!!

1 Like