Twist, Shake and Roll

This is a Forster’s Tern after a strike. This one missed his meal and prior to his next shot, had to shake off the water or else become waterlogged.

Specific Feedback Requested

I did this as a vertical because I wanted the viewer to see the length of the water droplets both above and below but I wonder if it is more superfluous than functional for showing his behavior.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
These are quite small birds and they fly fast and to us viewers, a bit erratically. I likely made over 70 shots before I managed one this clear and crisp.

D500, 200-500 @500mm, f/5.6, 1/2500, ISO 400.

Normal ACR tweaks then did both a lights and darks mask to push the water droplets up and to take down the “water” shine off the whiter part of his belly.

Excellent job on the detail and exposure. These Terns don’t quite make it to Puget Sound where I live but we do have the considerably larger Caspian Terns. They are fun to watch but rarely come close enough for a detailed image.

1 Like

My uncle owned a resort up on the Hood Canal and my brother lived in Friday Harbor so I am quite familiar with the Puget Sound area. Washington has so much to offer in both wildlife and vistas.

HI Chris
The vertical framing work. I have photographing Common Tern and it mostly a point and fire process. This frame is really cool. Nice work.
Peter

1 Like

Perfect timing to catch the twist motion, especially when turned toward the camera!

1 Like