Twisted Sister

Dark Vignette

Light Vignette

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

A few of our day lilies bloom throughout the year. I shot this pair a few days ago. The twisted stigma caught my eye and there was a good BG to work with.

Specific Feedback

I plan to print this for my office and would like your opinions regarding the unaltered image vs the light and dark vignette versions.

Technical Details

Sony A7rIII
Sony FE 70-200 f2.8 GM-II @ 157mm
ISO 400, 1/25 @ f5.6, 12 shot stack in Helicon Focus

Critique Template

Use of the template is optional, but it can help spark ideas.

• Vision and Purpose:
  • Conceptual:
  • Emotional Impact and Mood:
  • Composition:
  • Balance and Visual Weight:
  • Depth and Dimension:
  • Color:
  • Lighting:
  • Processing:
  • Technical:

Excellent work on this pair, Bill. The light vignette made the flowers really pop out at me as I was paging through the three versions.

I prefer lighter vignettes, so this is a bit heavy for me, but that’s just me. The colors are so rich and I really like the positioning of both blooms. I prefer the slight clean up job on the first one, too. This will look excellent on your wall. One question though, are you a fan? I have some TS on vinyl and still give it a spin now and then. Dee can still rip into it even now.

Kris: Vinyl? What’s vinyl? :wink: Can’t say I’m a big fan and not sure I could recall anything other than the name. Of course I’m convinced that my gray hairs are memory cells that have escaped so I may have to snoop around Apple music and check them out.

These are beautiful Bill. I think I like the lighter vignette, but maybe not quite as strong.

Gorgeous flowers!! For me, the dark vignette works, but I would add the cleanup. This sort of thing is purely artist’s choice. No right or wrong.

All are beautiful. Which one you print and hang depends, of course, on your own preferences and your office space and environment. I prefer the dark vignette because it is more elegant, if that makes sense, but it may not be a good choice for your office.