Orchids

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

These bloomed a few days ago, so here they are. I de-saturated all but the blooms, to emphasize them and avoid the dull-ish pot and muted stems and supports.

Specific Feedback

Does the de-sat work here?

Technical Details

Sony A1
90 mm macro
Exposure Time: 1/320 sec
F Number: f/5.6
ISO Speed Ratings: ISO 640
Exposure Program: Aperture priority
Metering Mode: Spot

Critique Template

Use of the template is optional, but it can help spark ideas.

• Vision and Purpose:
  • Conceptual:
  • Emotional Impact and Mood:
  • Composition:
  • Balance and Visual Weight:
  • Depth and Dimension:
  • Color:
  • Lighting:
  • Processing:
  • Technical:

I like that deep gray BG which gets those subtle pinks to pop on the orchid flowers. The reflections in the pot are subtle and do not compete with the flowers. from an artistic viewpoint, I think the desaturation accomplished your goal and the comp looks pretty good. Well done…Jim

Nice arrangement and a beautiful job on the flowers, Sandy. I am having a bit of trouble getting past the gray stems and leaves, but that’s probably just my personal aesthetic sense.

Gorgeous flowers, well-lighted with a nice DOF. I’m with Dennis on the leaves – orchid leaves can be so gorgeous, The cut-off base is bothersome too. I like to anchor this kind of flower portrait with a subtle shadow at the base on a seamless backdrop.

@Diane_Miller @Dennis_Plank
Thanks for your thoughts; always welcome.

I have a hundred perfect orchid images with gorgeous green leaves - just doing something different here! :slight_smile:

Interesting treatment of these gorgeous flowers Sandy. The desaturation really put full emphasis on the blossoms complete with the amazing details. I played with a crop including just the blossoms, and I found it to be wonderful. I won’t insult your vision for these with it though.

@Ed_Williams
Please do! It’s never an insult to see another’s vision of my work…

Sandy: My first impression was that this reminded me of the work Pat Samson used to do with flowers and vases. Please take that as the compliment intended. The desaturation is interesting and an intriguing artistic decision. I think it’s always a good thing to challenge conventional expectations. Nicely done. >=))>

Thanks, Bill - I remember Pat and his marvelous images, so that’s a compliment indeed! Thank you -