Uncomfortably Close!

Description:My heart skipped a few beats as this Lioness approached the ground-level blind I was sitting in behind my camera. Only a piece of glass separated us. I froze, moving only my shutter finger. Intellectually, I knew she could not see me as I was in the pitch dark, and she was looking at her reflection in the glass. But it was hard to “intellectualize” when such power was within inches.

Pertinent technical details or techniques: Sony a1, Sony 24-70mm @ 70mm, f/2.8 @ 160th, ISO 3500

Is this a composite? (focus stacks or exposure blends are not considered composites) No

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

#bellbirdphoto

7 Likes

Wow – and WHEW!! I hope it was bulletproof glass! What a wonderful subject and viewpoint. A look of incredible power with a “no stopping me” look.

1 Like

What she said!

I wish she was looking at the camera, but you can’t have everything. Great low perspective and frame filling.

1 Like

Oh man! I’d be nervous too. What a great shot though. Is there a small flash to get some light, or maybe it was moonlight?
What a beautiful creature against that dark black background.

1 Like

I’ve been there, and I don’t think folks have a sense of how close this lion actually is. Thanks for sharing this amazing moment!

1 Like

There are spotlights on either side of the blind. This setup is absolutely perfect from a photographic standpoint.

The sense of drama is palpable with her intense gaze…good thing that gaze wasn’t focused on you.

1 Like

That is intense. I like the pose and overall composition. You could if so desired to remove some of the extra highlights in the eye. Still an awesome shot…Jim

1 Like

Hi Charles
What that saying, " lions, tigers and bears ho my". Every cool photograph.
Peter

1 Like