Under Attack

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

My daily backyard pileated buddy Woody was out back yesterday evening and after dining on some suet, he flew to a nearby tree that has a bird box hanging on the trunk. He worked his way down to the box and loudly knocked on it which prompted a bluebird to angrily start strafing him. It was a quarter the size of Woody! (that’s him way out of focus above Woody’s head) He was backlit by the last rays of sunset which caused his raised crest and wing feathers to really light up. I got several shots and this was my fav. Anybody have any idea what that knocking was all about? Marking territory?

Specific Feedback

Composition? Exposure?

Technical Details

Z9, 180-600 lens, Nikon 1.4 TC, monopod, 1/2500th, f 9.0, 410mm, ISO 9000, cropped to 4146 x 4491

Fantastic capture and pose, Dave. Don’t have a clue about the knocking thing, but isn’t nature captivating just to be able to watch? Great shot.

Very cool backlight, Dave and a great pose to show it off. Most of the woodpecker clan drum, but I’m not sure whether it’s territorial, mating or both.

Hi Dave, nice use of backlighting especially on the crest and outer wing. I can’t help with the behavioral question either. The bluebirds dive bomb me too when I get close to their nest here. Very protective parents.

Hi Dave, cool shot of the Pileated. Backlight works well too. I’ve read that drumming in woodpeckers takes the place of singing in songbirds.