Unfurling

I struggle with focus and, especially, with trying to get anything close up. I took hundreds of photos over three days practicing. The first day images were a complete washout, but things started getting better after that. I guess there’s hope.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any feedback is appreciated.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No

5 Likes

Hi Chris, I love this shot. The one large curl is follower by waves of curls. Good detail and great composition along with clean background makes this a really good photo. Thanks for sharing.
Wayne

1 Like

Hi Chris! I think your focus is great on this interesting plant! And I agree with @johnwayne about all the curls! Really awesome capture and great angle!

1 Like

Chris, this is a great look at this fern uncurling. It’s especially good with the lighter greens in the curls set against the dark greens behind. The subject leaf has a fine curl of it’s own. Going back again and again is something I do regularly as I try to get a photo that matches my vision (or change my vision to match the photo… :grin:).

Chris: This really has to be viewed large to appreciate the marvelous detail you’ve captured. I like the subject and your comp especially. With regard to your focus issues, I find at macro distances with stationary subjects that I rarely use AF and since I don’t stack managing DOF and POF is critical. I practically wear out my DOF preview trying to get everything that matters sharp. Not knowing your camera and what it’s capable of makes this pretty general advice. If you have an optical viewfinder previewing DOF can be tough as the view can get pretty dim when the lens is stopped down. One thing I really appreciate about my Sony cameras is that the EVF gives a normally illuminated preview and also has a focus peaking capability that is invaluable.>=))>

1 Like