Unknown Flower

Not sure what this is-a freebie from a local nursery when we purchased a tree. Bloomed in the spring, but bloomed again in the fall, this time more prolific and longer lasting.

What technical feedback would you like if any? Any

What artistic feedback would you like if any? Any

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Canon 7DII; 100 mm macro; f4.5, 1/80; ISO 100; tripod

Allen, A beautiful flower with lovely colors. I would have expected a smaller aperture for this, but shallow dof works surprisingly well for this image. I would have liked to see top part of the petal on the left, but the image is lovely as it is. Composition also works well.

1 Like

Hey Allen, first off this is a lovely image. The only nit pick for me would be the 2nd petal from the left should not be cropped as the rest of them aren’t . Agreeing with Ravi on the DOF. Would definitely have enhanced the flower but it is something that depends on the lens which is limited by availability of gear. Other than that I really love the color ,detail and comp!

1 Like

This looks a little like Bitterroot, but it’s too purple for that. There are some crocuses (aka croci) that look like this, and given the weather in PNW (early “winter” of smoke followed by a second spring) it could be that. Does it have foliage or is it just flower and stem?

1 Like

Hi Allen, this is a very nice shot of that flower. It looks to me that you wanted to direct attention to the inside, which is sharp, hence the petals are not all in focus, so that works for me, because I love to look down and deep into a flower. This does remind me of my miniature crocus plants, but the stamen and pistles are different. I’ve attached an example.

1 Like

@Marylynne_Diggs, @Jim_Lockhart, @ravi, @simeon: thanks for the comments. I was concentrating on the center of the flower. No foliage, just the flower. I don’t think it was a crocus; they did tell me what it was, but I forget now, but I think I would have remembered a crocus. They did say it was poisonous.

Allen: Not sure of the ID but do agree its not a crocus. There are some features similar to primrose but not a perfect match there either. Regardless this comp and capture work for me. You’ve cut off enough of the petal that it doesn’t register as a “mistake” to me and this tight crop does emphasize the center parts nicely. Well done. >=))>

1 Like

Allen
Very lovely flower and good point of interest on the center with good depth of field. I would rather have seen the whole flower since so little is missing but it is an individual thing.

1 Like

Hi Allan! You don’t mention size, but assuming these are about 10 inches tall, they are probably “the Giant Autumn Crocus” (https://www.gardenia.net/plant/colchicum-the-giant). I recently moved and was surprised by these blooming at our new house.

1 Like

I believe it is the autumn blooming crocus which has a much larger flower than its spring cousin. Nice presentation and detail.

1 Like

Hi,

This is a good peak into the flower of this crocus. The center is nice and sharp and I like the lighting. Maybe a little room to get all the tips of the petals. Otherwise, I think you did well with this garden freebie…Jim

1 Like