Untitled

Taken a few years ago in Snow Canyon State Park.

Specific Feedback Requested

I think the sky detracts from the image but it was a clear day. Composition and processing?

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No

Hm, I don’t know. It’s a very busy landscape. I’m looking for slices you could use, but am not coming up with anything compelling. The canyon in the rocks where it gets dark among the lighter areas is nice. You’re right about the sky, but unless you want to try a replacement this is what you have.

Mario this image just doesn’t do much for me either. I think the composition is fine, if the foreground wasn’t so dark and uninteresting, those dark bushes just don’t appeal to me that much. The butte is interesting, and has some nice texture, but the uninteresting foreground just seems to dominate the image visually.

The sky is what it is, not much you can do other than to minimize it like you did here. However, you have some halo-ing along the horizon, which is what happens when you push contrast, like many of us do in B&W images. Edges between light and dark are very prone to haloing from strong contrast adjustments. I’ve also seen it happen to horizons when you use Lightrooms B&W color mixer to adjust blue skies, if you push those sliders too far you can get halos.

I agree with most of Ed’s assessment. The bottom half of the image is busy and uninteresting. It’s always interesting to think ,when you see such an image, what the photographer was after, what they liked about it.

Thank you @Kris_Smith @Igor_Doncov @Ed_McGuirk for the comments. Initially I thought the foreground added to the scene but if I took this today I would have isolated the upper half and included more sky, removing at least part of the foreground. Originally I was most drawn by the butte.