Untitled

Simply spring on Lake Aleeda. For me, all about the forms in the image. I also was attracted by the subtlety of the red buds in the BG of trees.

Specific Feedback Requested

Comp and Processing

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
200mm, f/18, 1/10 sec, iso 160

2 Likes

This is a most appealing composition to me, Mario, with excellent use of layers and textures.

I like this for its chaotic orderliness and shot something similar in a beaver pond this winter. The strong parallel lines of the birches call to mind the order and the bushes below the chaos. A great reminder that almost nothing in nature is accidental. The splash of supporting green a further reminder that everything is mutable. With that in mind, I’d like to see this same shot through the seasons. That is your mission should you choose to accept it! Lol.

One thing though is that the magenta/purple seems to be bleeding into the white of the tree trunks. Or it’s chromatic aberration.

What a nice stand of birch trees. This image is very striking visually, and I like it a lot, well done Mario. The arrangement of trees in the composition is very well balanced, I love they lean in different directions, it really gets my eye moving around the image. I also like the repetition of the red color in the far background, it’s a nice echo of the bushes. I think @Kris_Smith has a great idea, this would be a perfect subject to try this same exact composition during all four seasons and present them as a group.

My only suggestion is that I don’t like the dark strip along right side of the bottom edge. I might consider dodging this to reduce its visual weight, or maybe making a slight crop or clone job to eliminate it.

Another fine image Mario. You’re moving away from b&w recently. I like this image as is. However, one thought that I had when I first saw it was to simplify the color makeup of this image to the pink and white colors by cropping off the green below and the bottom dark part of the bushes. Sometimes simplifying a composition improves it and other times makes it worse. Since my laptop is toast I can’t try and see how it would look but it might look good. I remember making a similar comment a few years ago to a Harold Hirschmann image and the editors awarded the image several times over. So not everyone agrees with this thought.

This is very nicely composed. What makes it for me (besides the lovely colors), is the rhythm of the layers - the thin line of green bushes, the thicker line of red bushes, then the trees. The thickness of the layers increase in size logarithmically, which is quite pleasing. I agree about dodging the darkest bits along the right-hand bottom edge.

Thank you @Bonnie_Lampley @Igor_Doncov @Ed_McGuirk @Kris_Smith @Peter_Richter . I also was wondering about the darker strip but thought initially it added to the image although it is not balanced to the left with the same… I made a slight crop and dodge of remaining and do agree this is a better image.

This is a very nice composition. I love all the graphics or the tree trunks with the simple BG. and FG. to make it simple, I crop it to 16*9 eliminating all the yellow FG.

a

1 Like

A fine image, Mario. Of the three shown, I definitely favor your rework, just eliminating the dark strip at the bottom. Real nice colors, layers and mood.

I like this a lot, Mario. Beautiful composition and it appears so painterly; reminds me of a Joseph Mallord William Turner painting in that the colors are both rich and somewhat muted at the same time. I think your rework really nails it.

Thank you for your time and compliment @Harley_Goldman and @Bill_Chambers