Untitled

On a chilly January morning, i set off with a group of friends to hike up on of the Canadian Rocky peaks just outside of the infamous Banff National Park.
It is a popular day hike trail, however, being in the thick of winter and starting way before sunrise makes for a secluded experience throughout the trail.
Unfortunately being with a group it took longer than normal to reach the peak. We could see the sunlight intensifying as we ascended and it became an overcast weather very quickly.
While taking the views and battling the strong wind gusts a small gap opened up in the clouds. I looked back at the mountain’s saddle and i captured this scene of the adjacent peak with the sunlight piercing through the clouds behind it.
It was an amazing feeling ti say the least and a good reminder ti leave expectations behind while enjoying the natural world.

Specific Feedback Requested

I sat on this picture for just about two years. I attempted to edit it two times before every time I started from scratch and i still was not happy. Not sure why

I wonder if it is the colors (the raw had an awful blue cast) i was shooting with daylight balance as i always do and because it was overcast it was crazy blue.

How is the balance and contrast of the overall scene?

Technical Details

1 Like

Aref

What’s up man?!?!? Glad to see you participating in the critique session! Good to see ya here!

Let’s get to it! The color cast issue…you took care of that!!! Nice job! There’s not a whole lot here to add here man. I would play with the highlights in the sky, ever so gently. I’d get a very restrictive red channel or lights luminosity mask and just every so gently pull those highlights down. I think you may get a nice touch of yellow in the sky by doing that. The main thing for me with this image is the mid tone contrast. I would bring down the overall mid tone contrast of the scene by 15 - 20 points…at least! The scene is slightly backlit so I want to feel that light in the sky! I want see those nice tones in the mountain! You have quite a bit of room here to play with Aref! Take advantage of those pixels :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

DT

Thanks for the awesome feedback David as always very beneficial
If i may ask, do you mean to increase the mid-tones contrast or make it less contrasty in the mid-tones? Sorry that was not clear to me

Aref

More contrast! Levels adjustment layer, increase 15-20 points. The scene feels too bright.

1 Like