Untitled

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I was on one if my all time favorite day hikes in the Canadian rockies. Autumn was in full swing (not apparent here because it is mostly ever green).
Once you get past this beautiful alpine lake, you can climb up the ridge (which is hard but i always go up)
It rained and made our steps harder on the way up the ridge but looking back i saw the lake, the mountains and the atmosphere so i decided to photograph the scene.

Specific Feedback

The crop bothers me a bit. I kind of wish i had some more breathing room in the bottom.

Any feedback is welcom. I have recently been working on understanding mid tone contrast, fighting color casts and creating depth through tonal separation.
I did all that here but wanted feedback from the talented photographers in the community.

Technical Details

This is a single exposure
F11
Iso 250
1/50 sec

Critique Template

Use of the template is optional, but it can help spark ideas.

• Vision and Purpose:
  • Conceptual:
  • Emotional Impact and Mood:
  • Composition:
  • Balance and Visual Weight:
  • Depth and Dimension:
  • Color:
  • Lighting:
  • Processing:
  • Technical:

A stunning scene of tectonic activity evidence perfectly framed by the larches (?). I like the subdued colors too.

1 Like

Oh, for the Canadian Rockies - so sad how western Canada is being consumed by wild fires. I too like the low contrast effect of most of this excellent image. You set up the foreground with a contrast of contrast. I appreciate the beauty and impact of bright autumn colors. Knowing this is a matter of how you vision the image, I wonder if lowering the saturation in the FG, especially the gold trees and red tones would move the viewer’s eye through the image better. I almost see two images here, the FG and the rest of the image. Of course, you decide. My quick edit exemplifies this. Again, nice image.

What a grand view Aref. I can see why it is one of your favorite hikes. I like your crop as well as your placement of the two yellow larches in the scene. I do not know if it was possible, but if you could have moved more to the right you could have included more of that lovely lake. Were you able to zoom in closer and just capture that middle ridge with the striations and the trees along the top? I think that would work as well. Very nicely done.

Thanks for the feedback @Ed_Lowe
Going right to get more of a lake was a challenge as i did not want to step out of the trail.
The ridge however i definitely got a close up of. Stay tuned :smiley:

Thanks for the feedback @Larry_Greenbaum
I did lower the saturation a bit as is specially the red because of the bishes in the LLC.

Thanks @Ronald_Murphy

This is a wonderful grand landscape Aref. I like your original treatment with the misty mountains in the BG and the two larch trees setting the stage for the lake and the ridge. What a grand vista!

1 Like

Brilliant image Aref! Well seen and captured.

1 Like

Thank you @guy

I’m loving this one Aref. The depth here is captivating.

The perspective pulls me down into the center wanting to know more. It’s a shot that triggers my curiosity. Do I want to climb up further to see what views can be had?!