Untitled

Shot from my ‘dooryahd’, as they say in Maine. EM1ii w/40-150PRO at f8.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

I’m wondering if this image is too bright.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Viewers set their monitors differently. Here, it looks flat, lacking in contrast and detail in the foreground whites. Breaking up 04918 ice, used to mean warm weather and mud boots to me.
TY for Post

Idea
If the site published a standard (gray scale, color chart) to which viewers could adjust their monitors, we could all be on the same page, seeing the same thing. Could be helpful? or I missed the memo.

1 Like

Ty,

I’ve got mine set low (100cd/m2) to use for printing. I’ve found it hard to get blacks to look good online in the past (on flickr).

Thx,

Chris

P.S. A few adjustments. I like it better, but I think I’m done with this one.

I love the detail in this landscape, Chris. Considering that the foreground is all snow and ice it tends to look washed out in a b&w image. I gave it a try to bring back some of the contrast and details in both the ice and the trees. Basically I adjusted the black level and added some contrast in the highlights while bringing the levels down. I think you might like the definition in the frozen stream that results.

2 Likes

Gary,

Thanks, I appreciate your processing. I love the support here.

Chris

Chris, I like the scene, with all of the ice and the view into the distance through the trees. I too was wishing for more contrast and a bit less brightness in the bare trees. Your redo helps nicely while Gary’s treatment looks adds a good “pop” to the view, much of which I think comes from the reduced brightness. Processing and presentation are an artistic decision, so it’s up to you to choose what fits your vision.

Nicely composed, Chris, and I think you’ve done a good job on the repost. The way your eye is led through the gap in the trees ( making you wonder what lies beyond ! ) is very effective.